Burges Lace

Dollygk

I would love to attempt doing this Burges lace! Has anyone done this type of crochet and do you have any tips or tricks that would help before I started??  Many thanks, Dolly

post-76132-0-02525600-1444804661_thumb.jpg

Bruges is so very pretty, i love the look. It really is not hard to do, it is just intricate. Look for a pattern with a stitch symbol diagram, or excellent photos, so you can see the stitch placement.

Do you have access to crochet reference books? I'm not sure how much info is online.

Oh, but do you already have the pattern? Is it including a diagram?

The book complete Photo Guide to Crochet by M Hubert has a short section on Bruges.  On Amazon , you may be able to see some of that section in Look Inside.

Hass Design site has a lot of free info that is good, mainly on filet, and a $12 online class on Bruges...I expect that is worth while but I have not seen it.

Bruges is not really a distinct technique like hairpin or broomstick for example.  It is just a way of arranging the usual stitches into certain forms.  I have played with it a little bit and didn't find it difficult---other than the normal problems of concentrating and counting stitches, that is  :lol

I second, third and fourth working from a diagram!  I made one from an Annie's attic pattern that was not diagrammed, and it had something over 600 rows if I recall correctly.  But, each row is the ribbon width, so only a few stitches.  Was not at all difficult, the ribbons were just 4 DC and a chain loop (some variations when the loops turn corners).  Your picture above shows a ribbon with 3 DC.  The 'hard' part in the written pattern was visualizing where the ribbon was 'going' by the word description; would have been a breeze with a diagram.

I took a pic of my work in process, this might help you visualize how it's constructed - it doesn't grow from the center in rounds like most doilies.

post-13625-0-64952900-1444839601_thumb.jpg

Bruges is so very pretty, i love the look. It really is not hard to do, it is just intricate. Look for a pattern with a stitch symbol diagram, or excellent photos, so you can see the stitch placement.

Do you have access to crochet reference books? I'm not sure how much info is online.

Oh, but do you already have the pattern? Is it including a diagram?

----------------------------------

Thanks dear, yes I do have the symbol chart to crochet this so I guess I'll just jump in!!

===========================================

I second, third and fourth working from a diagram!  I made one from an Annie's attic pattern that was not diagrammed, and it had something over 600 rows if I recall correctly.  But, each row is the ribbon width, so only a few stitches.  Was not at all difficult, the ribbons were just 4 DC and a chain loop (some variations when the loops turn corners).  Your picture above shows a ribbon with 3 DC.  The 'hard' part in the written pattern was visualizing where the ribbon was 'going' by the word description; would have been a breeze with a diagram.

I took a pic of my work in process, this might help you visualize how it's constructed - it doesn't grow from the center in rounds like most doilies.

-------------------------------------

Thanks dear, I DO KNOW what you mean about the printed instructions vs. the symbol charts, SO EASY to follow the charts!

• photo-thumb-13625.jpg?_r=1359237308

• Villager
  • 7,229 posts

• Joined 19-June 07

Posted 14 October 2015 - 07:31 PM

Here is a tutorial on the basics, with diagrams

Many thanks for this help page..... so it's simply going back and forth until you go nuts   LOL

Archived