Rainbow zebra

Totstv24

Question

Hello.

I'm super new to crochet. But determined to teach myself how to do it.

I'm making this rainbow zebra, and I seem to have taught myself how to crochet in rounds. But on the mane I am now stuck!

I think I have done the first two rows correctly. And half the 3rd row but then it says ''1 ch, 1 sl st in last chain of row 1, 1ch, working now in the opposite side of the foundation ring ch, 1 sl st in next ch (21 sts).

I'm really confused what I'm supposed to be doing as on the picture it looks like it's a straight line. But when I sl st in last stitch of 1st row it makes a loop.

Please help!

17 answers to this question

So does this mean I'm making a loop!? Cause isn't the last ch of first row on the opposite side to where I want it??

The last chain on row 1 is at the same end as the last chain on row 3.  Odd rows go the same direction.  Even rows go the opposite direction.

Here is what I came up with, following the directions you gave. Weird, the yarn is slate blue but scanned as pink. The left side is where the chain-1 down the side happened - the short thread on that side is the beginning of the foundation chain.

I think the purpose of the slip stitch is for stability, maybe helps it sit up better

???? I don't think mine looks like this. But that looks like how it's supposed to be! I did mine before writing on here so I guessed. I'll post a pic!

Here is what I came up with, following the directions you gave.  Weird, the yarn is slate blue but scanned as pink.  The left side is where the chain-1 down the side happened - the short thread on that side is the beginning of the foundation chain.  

I think the purpose of the slip stitch is for stability, maybe helps it sit up better

post-13625-0-11187800-1444668604_thumb.jpg

I think I see your confusion . yes the last ch would be on the opposite side so to speak, but as you did the sc 's in  row one I think that ch of the last sc would be considered the last ch of row 1.

clear as mud . he he

Is it one of these, by Carolina Guzman?

Row 1 is 17 sc

Row 2 adds 2 sc and is 19 sc

Row 3 adds 2 sc and is 21 sc

I think it would be clearer if row 3 indicated 21 stitches for the row count at the end of the last sc, not later....because....if you chain 1, (this 'reaches' down from row 3 to below row 1) then sl st in the unused loop of each foundation chain, you are slip stitching across 17 foundation chains.  The pattern says '21 stitches' at this later point, which is confusing.  

The point of the chain-1, then slip stitches across the bottom is probably to form a rounded 'front' to the mane, and a decorative bottom edge, I'm guessing.

when you finish row 3 look down at row one. ch 1  and sort of hold the piece and sl st in the first ch of row one then ch 1 and sl st in the opposide side of the foundation ch.

I would still like to know which pattern you are using. When I do a search I get so many and they are all nice ones.on

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Row 3 <--

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ) Row 2 -->

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Row 1 <--

------------------ ) Chain -->

You're connecting row 3 over ) row 2 to the end of row 1. You're then connecting the end of row 1 to the underside of the chain.

So does this mean I'm making a loop!? Cause isn't the last ch of first row on the opposite side to where I want it??

I'm assuming that row 1 is sc in the chain with a 1 ch & turn.  That sl st from row 3 to the turning chain in row 1 is to move your yarn down towards the original chain (foundation chain.)  They then want you to sl st in the first back bump on the foundation chain.  This places the yarn on the bottom for sewing the piece on.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.                           Row 3 <--

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx )                             Row 2 -->

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.                                  Row 1 <--

------------------ )                                     Chain -->

You're connecting row 3 over ) row 2 to the end of row 1.  You're then connecting the end of row 1 to the underside of the chain.

"working now in the opposite side of the foundation ch"

When you work a stitch into the foundation chain, you insert the hook under 1 or 2 loops of the chain (there's several ways to work into the chain).  Either way, there's a leftover (unused) loop in the chain.  What it's telling you to do is to go back and crochet into that unused loop of the foundation chain.  

I say super new. I'm teaching myself how to do it. I can do the body's and heads of the toys as well as legs etc. But this is just the mane.

I think it's cause I am not crocheting in the round like in used too.

It is not a free pattern. But there is only 3 rows for it.

Row 2: 2sc in next sc, 1sc in next 15sc, 2sc in next sc, 1 ch and turn (19sts)

Row 3: 2sc in next sc, 1sc in next 17sc, 2sc in next sc, 1ch, 1 sl st in last ch of row1, 1 ch, working now in the opposite side of the foundation ch, 1 sl st in next ch (21 sts). Fasten off and leave a long tail for sewing that piece later.

Its a chain originally from 17sts

Is it a free pattern?  If yes, you can post the link to the pattern.  If no, it's ok, to post the row right before and right after the one you're struggling with.  Just don't post too much of the pattern.

Making an anigurumi when you're "super new to crochet" might not be the best idea.  When you're new to a craft, like crochet, it's best to start with simple things and work up to more difficult projects.  For rounds you can start with coasters and baskets.  For rows, start with dish cloths and scarfs.

Archived