Reading a digram

Roley

Question

Hello All,

Just starting to try and teach myself how to read a diagram and they can be confusing. Can someone help me with row one. I have found a stitch reference that has helped somewhat but nothing like this one. The first row has chains but I'm confused on the loop with an x under. Here is a picture. I apologize if I haven't posted this in the correct area. Thanks for any help

5 answers to this question

this is a way of making your foundation row with a bit of a lacy/scalloped look.  the 'loop with an x under' is a double crochet symbol drawn with a curved post instead of straight.  What you're gonna do is ch 3, dc into first ch....over and over.  it's a really pretty way to start a piece and it is very easy to count, much easier than counting all those chains.  

If you look at the cover page for Marty Miller's foundation class http://www.craftsy.com/class/mastering-foundation-crochet-stitches/4809?_ct=sbqii-sqjuweho-dum&_ctp=5&rceId=1443803510240~wrx7tuz5   you can see it in the photo, it is the 3rd from the right.   It is a traditional way of starting a piece, but I don't know of a traditional name for it.  Miller calls it Eyelet.  (btw the class is excellent and a great value if you buy it during one of the very frequent sales)

It's also a good way to make a tie or a thin strap.  

Roley, we'd love to be able to help you understand stitch diagrams. However, we have to make sure we're following copyright law and our forum policies as we do so. Our forum policies state that members can only upload images to which they own the copyright. Since this is someone else's chart, and we don't have their permission for it to be posted here, I've had to remove the image.

You're welcome to edit your post and give us information about the pattern you're using: a link to it or information about where it was published.

well maybe Eyelet is the traditional name for this.  here's a tutorial http://bellacrochet.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-to-make-crocheted-eyelet-foundation.html

(and that is a fun blog to look around on, her designs are so sweet! and a few free patterns)  

Sorry for the post of the picture of diagram. Thanks for the help, maybe I can figure it out.

you're welcome :-)

is the pattern free online?  If so you can link to it.  otherwise tell us the name and location of it and maybe someone wil have it to refer to.  I thought it looked similar to patterns by Chinami Horiba, is it one of hers by chance?

do you need general diagram help, like what each symbol means?  

Archived