Have you ever used a crocheted item as part of a joke/prank?

I did tonight.

I made this little newborn hat and posted it to my facebook page with a little note....  "Baby hat for my...granddaughter. Annabell Grace should be home Friday if all goes as planned."

post-27802-0-79717900-1443666307_thumb.jpg

My oldest is 17...

Her grandparents, predictably, lost their minds.

After a while I explained that Annabell is a baby simulator doll.  Thanks to the data collected from parents of real newborns, she is programmed to mimic the behavior of a newborn baby.  Baby doesnt come with a hat so, since its starting to get cold in Iowa, my daughter wanted to make the simulation a bit more real and asked me to make one for her.  Since she has been talking about baby Annabell as though the doll is her child...I couldnt resist messing with her grandparents (mostly my parents LOL).

Cute hat, I'm glad your parents recovered from the shock!

A few years ago, my husband asked if I could create a chainsaw for his brother...I forgot the whole story, it might have been something like BIL couldn't find a real one to the specs that he wanted...so BIL got this for a joke Christmas gift one year.  

post-13625-0-29328700-1443717312_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Love the chainsaw!  I just might have to steal that idea for my husband...who cant seem to find one he likes, either.

Annabelle came home today.  

Shaylyn, my 17 year old, is...mostly...enjoying the project at this point.  Her biggest complaint is that baby Annabelle is BORING.  Easy, happy baby...  

post-27802-0-23019000-1444963942_thumb.jpg

Shay got bored and started sending me FB pictures

post-27802-0-03684400-1444963950_thumb.jpg

For a doll, she's pretty realistic... this was right before Shay changed her into her PJs (sensors in the clothes & doll indicate what she's wearing so she has to be changed into the right thing for the right weather/time)

post-27802-0-93712500-1444963929_thumb.jpg

Yep, Annabelle had Shay up a few times over night....around 130 & again just before 6am.  About 8am Shay came down carrying Annabelle saying "She's being fussy"...baby was fussing fairly softly...that "I really dont want to be awake anymore" fuss.  

She coos (a lot!) randomly so Shay knows she's still on and when care is successful.  Cries for diaper changes, feeding or just gets fussy at random times...  

We were both expecting this to be a lot more challenging.  At this point Annabelle has not interfered with daily life at all...Shay is managing baby care and everyday life/chores/homework with ease.

The H.S. here has a doll too, though not as advanced. Their "parenting" classes make everyone (boys too) get it for a weekend. My neighbor's grandson lives here during the school year, so the "baby" was in the building. Boy was I surprised when I heard baby cries coming from their apartment   :lol . The computer in the doll records everything. How long it takes for feedings, diaper changes, rocking/holding, etc. They have average times for each action and they get graded on that. The doll cannot be turned off, so if it's left motionless too long (1 hr. +/-) or cries too long without being picked up, a bad grade.

Ellie 13

Archived