New to the forum, New to crochet

shawny026

Hi All,

I just registered for this forum because I saw that helpful information is posted here. I'm also new to crochet. I bought the Boye "I taught myself to crochet" book and using it plus a lot of youtubes I've managed to get through several of the patterns successfully. I made the poncho (gave that to my mom.. :) ); I made the textured jacket for one of my daughters; I've started the Striped Throw for the other daughter and it's going well (so far).

However, i'm currently working on pattern 16- Soft Sage Camisole-. I managed to figure out the Lower section and get that completed. It turned out really well. However, I'm struggling with the pattern for the Camisole Top. The instructions say: Rnd 1 (RS): Join yarn with a sl st in the same ch as beg ch-3 of lower section-Rnd 1. I understand what it's telling to me to do as far as the abbrv. etc, but i don't know how to find that rnd and that beg ch 3 on my work.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks

Welcome to Crochetville!

It would be easier to answer your question, if we knew how you started rnd 1 of the lower section.  Did you start by ch XXX, sl st to the first ch, ch-3? (XXX is the number of the original chain)  I'm going to assume that you did, since it's the most common way to start a round.  Look at the top of each stitch on the chain.  The stitches will most likely be a single strand, called the "back bump."  Look for the one that is slightly thicker, because it has more yarn underneath it.  Immediately below it, look to see if there is a ch-3, instead of a dc.  That's where you start the top section.

I'm really shocked that they didn't have you mark it when you started rnd-1 of the lower section.

Hi and thank you for the welcome.

Yes.. me too.. they have had me mark things all through this pattern, but I just double-checked that i didn't miss the instructions to mark it.. and it's not there!.

Here are the instructions that lead up to the end of rnd1.

Foundation chain: Loosely ch 108; join with a sl st to first ch to form a ring, being careful not to twist the chain

Rnd 1 (Belt Loop row): Ch 3 (counts as dc), dc in next ch, * ch 1, skip next ch, dc in each of the next 2 ch; rep from * around, end ch 1, skip last ch, join with a sl st to top ch of beg ch-3; do NOT turn

So between the foundation chain and rnd 1, you get a loop that has holes in it to allow a little ribbon belt to weave thru.

Rnd 2 starts the shell pattern.. where you start with a beg shell (ch 5 [dc, ch2, dc), then sc, then a shell (dc, ch2, dc, ch2, dc).. and you continue that pattern for a few rows then they switch up the pattern a bit with putting some open shells in each row to form a little design on the front.. but same alternating sc, shell, sc, shell.

hope this helps explain it.. i know it's not as good as a picture..

Thanks in advance,

Shawny

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 9/22/2015 at 1:56 PM, shawny026 said:

Hi All,

I just registered for this forum because I saw that helpful information is posted here. I'm also new to crochet. I bought the Boye "I taught myself to crochet" book and using it plus a lot of youtubes I've managed to get through several of the patterns successfully. I made the poncho (gave that to my mom.. :) ); I made the textured jacket for one of my daughters; I've started the Striped Throw for the other daughter and it's going well (so far).

However, i'm currently working on pattern 16- Soft Sage Camisole-. I managed to figure out the Lower section and get that completed. It turned out really well. However, I'm struggling with the pattern for the Camisole Top. The instructions say: Rnd 1 (RS): Join yarn with a sl st in the same ch as beg ch-3 of lower section-Rnd 1. I understand what it's telling to me to do as far as the abbrv. etc, but i don't know how to find that rnd and that beg ch 3 on my work.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks

I think we're working on the same thing.  Only in my book it's called Soft Camisole & it's item 11 on page 51.

I too had a heck of a time finding that beg ch 3.  But I think I found it & did ok 'til we got to marking shells.  Where'd you start from & which direction did you go to find 2nd, 10th & 17 shells?  Then it tells you to start the left cup in the 5th shell.  Again - which shell is considered the 1st?  I'm also having trouble with the straps (all clusters), the brass ring between the cups & the belt or cord.

Don't have any cotton yarn so had to use regular.  As such 4 pieces 25 yards long is too long & too many pieces.  I tried it w/ 2 & it's still thicker than one in pic but it works.

Archived