Resource Questions..

ValerieAnne84

Question

I'm sorry if this isn't in the correct spot. I read the descriptions under the headings and this seemed like the best area. If I'm mistaken, please feel free to move to correct spot. 

I don't have any tools yet and can't get any for about a month, so I am trying to learn as much as I can before I get tools (if that makes sense). I was searching Amazon for tools, books, etc. 

As a new user, I have a couple of questions (two of them will link to Amazon items, and will be essentially the same question). 

1a. Since I've never crocheted before which kind of hooks do you recommend? I've seen a lot of good things about soft grip (which is what one of my questions will be about), yet all of the 'how-tos' or beginning sets I find on Amazon use aluminum hooks (the sets even come with a couple, a book/project and yarn to do that project). 

1b. Would you recommend purchasing one of these 'all in one' sets since I've never crocheted before? 

2. I found this crochet set on Amazon. It includes 44 pieces (with bag). It's by a company called Rosemary.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XTPPEPY/   Would this be a good value? Does anybody know the quality of Rosemary items (I couldn't find any others on Amazon). 

3. The other question, is about yarn. I'd like to get bonbons to start with as they come in a variety of colored sets for a pretty decent price (in my opinion). They are also smaller and I'd be doing small projects at first since I'm just learning. I found this set of 20 bonbons from a company called TYH. I've heard of them (a little). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XLP2UGI Is this a good option?

Since I'm not sure of the type of projects I'd like to do yet (small, easy lol), I'm not sure which types of yarn I should be looking for. Hopefully by posting links, I don't miss my chance to get these items if ya'll think the value is there, LOL.  Thanks so much in advance!! 

16 answers to this question

Just been searching on Amazon for Bates/Boye aluminum hooks. I've found these sets:

Bates: http://www.amazon.com/Susan-Bates-Silvalume-Crochet-Pouch/dp/B000XZYISM/

Boye: http://www.amazon.com/Boye-6281-6-Piece-Aluminum-Crochet/dp/B00KKV3K3S

Unknown (to me): http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Crochet-Hook-14pcs-2-0mm-10-0mm/dp/B00EL9IK8U

I may get both sets (or all three) and testing them all. I'm curious on if the needles have both MM and US size on them? I've seen some that only have MM (like the original ones I posted) and some with just the US Size letter. 

"Thanks so much for all the helpful information and links everybody!  At the moment, I have to purchase online only (I don't drive and there isn't public transit where I am currently), hopefully that will change though, as I'm moving, and it looks like I'll be on a bus route or have access to Uber/Lyft/Taxi if needed. I can also get a ride from CABVI (I'm blind in my left eye) once or twice a month in the new location. So, hopefully that means I'll be able to get out to shops and actually feel the hooks in my hand. 

I prefer books as well. I find things online and then look for them in the library (this may change as the new location isn't by the library. i'm within a few miles walking of the library where i am now) to see if they have them. I also prefer videos if something isn't making sense to me in a book or magazine. =) 

Just by looking I feel like I would like the grip and feel like the ones I linked too, but may get a few single aluminum ones to test them out. I saw a kit on Amazon that includes 3-4 in different sizes, yarn and pattern.. I think the project was a scarf. I can't remember at the moment. Oops. "

New Response:

Hello- you could be me, as I have same troubles with the eyes and the not driving, and so on. Without going into details as to my sight impairment, I can do many things including read if I am looking right at it in front of me. Otherwise, forget it I am blind.

Anyway- as to your online purchases- I hope you can find a ride to a used goods or thrift store Goodwill et cetera, because one out of 5 times I find crochet hooks and yarns so cheap. Buying online you have to pay for shipping mailing and you guess what kind of quality you get.

OR- or! You can join some kind of crochet group? or meet up with someone who crochets? Who can give you for free, or borrow, some hooks. You do not need a big giant set. You will find you gravitate toward using maybe one or two. All of my hooks I got for mere few dollars from used places. They are all vintage, good quality made in England or USA nothing made in China at all, no junky garbage. I paid less for these good quality than brand new of cheapest brand. So, there you go.

I am sorry I do not know about the brand you consider buying, so my advice is only subjective.

My experience, I did things exactly opposite as you. I went looking in used things stores to find a cheap hobby to try, if I did not care for it than big deal, not much money lost. So, I bought the tools first and learned later. All I learned, from internet and old old books. All thrift stores purchase nothing was new. The same things I found for maybe one or two dollars people go and sell them again on websites for more money.  I don't but use all I buy. I am not interested in making a profit of free money for no work. That is just me.

Consider yourself lucky you are not on bus line because actually it is more quiet and safer. To all complaints there is a good side. But maybe soon, you will move to another place you can get around easier. Taxi is too expensive too. 

Skip the bonbons yarn.  I have seen it in person at the craft store and those skeins are very tiny and the yarn is thin to me.  Read heart super saver is a much better choice than the bonbons to start out with.  For me I use boye hooks and any brand  hook that has that similar tip.  The Susan bates hooks the point is to slanty for me and I snag the yarn but I hold my hook like holding a fork not like holding a pencil so that could be why.  When I first learned I used the book 10-20-30 minutes to learn to crochet as it had nice left and right handed illustrations and I am a lefty.  You can probably find it on amazon, I just happen to order a lot of crochet and needle work supplies from 123.  Mary

Thank you all so much for all the links, advice and help! I've added a load of different colors of Super Saver Yarn to my cart and a set of both Boye and Bates hooks... for about the same price as the original items. I can't purchase yet but hopefully I'll have even more things I can add to the list/cart before I can order. :)

Valerie, I'm sorry this post is so late....Just wanted to say, do let us know how you get along with your new purchases and getting started with your projects :hook

Thank you all so much for all the links, advice and help! I've added a load of different colors of Super Saver Yarn to my cart and a set of both Boye and Bates hooks... for about the same price as the original items. I can't purchase yet but hopefully I'll have even more things I can add to the list/cart before I can order. :)

In my opinion you need a G hook and a skein of acrylic yarn to start. With that you can learn basic stiches using you tube videos and online tutorials.

Once you learn the basics you can begin experimenting with hooks and yarn as your skills and budget allow.

If you have access to e-books that is a great suggestion too.  I noticed my library is starting to carry more crochet books as e-books.  It is a great way to look at new books to see what you'd like and what won't work for you.  I have most of my e-borrowing met with other books so I tend to check out hard copies of crochet books as traditional books and media have a higher check out limit here.

I just checked out two newer crochet amigurumi books I'd considered buying and one I won't be purchasing and the other is on my buy list.  It is a great way to save money and disappointment by reviewing the books before you invest.  I'd actually had them ranked in the opposite order.  The one I thought I'd buy turned out to be less helpful than I'd hoped.  I'd not have been pleased if I'd invested in it.

If getting to the library becomes a problem, you might be able to check out e-books from home.  I know my library has ebooks, Crochet 101 for example http://www.amazon.com/Crochet-101-Step-Step-Instruction/dp/1589236394

actually there is quite a bit of helpful info just in the pages in the "look inside" 

Like Bailey, I think books for kids are great, the instructions are really clear and to the point.  

Thank you for your advice as well, Becky. Your reply came in as I was typing mine.  I never thought to look at Goodwill and places like that.  I've already been browsing the patterns one here and have saved some of them on Ravelry. I know that I can't do any of them quite yet but I am adding to my collections so when I get better. =) I think I'd like my first project to be a coin purse, scarf or finger-less gloves/sleeves. 

I forgot to mention, when I was little, I used these things (my gran had them, still does somewhere): http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/151819476220?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82 

I also highly enjoyed needlepoint sets. They used to sell them at Big Lots, haven't seen them in years though.

Thanks so much for all the helpful information and links everybody!  At the moment, I have to purchase online only (I don't drive and there isn't public transit where I am currently), hopefully that will change though, as I'm moving, and it looks like I'll be on a bus route or have access to Uber/Lyft/Taxi if needed. I can also get a ride from CABVI (I'm blind in my left eye) once or twice a month in the new location. So, hopefully that means I'll be able to get out to shops and actually feel the hooks in my hand. 

I prefer books as well. I find things online and then look for them in the library (this may change as the new location isn't by the library. i'm within a few miles walking of the library where i am now) to see if they have them. I also prefer videos if something isn't making sense to me in a book or magazine. =) 

Just by looking I feel like I would like the grip and feel like the ones I linked too, but may get a few single aluminum ones to test them out. I saw a kit on Amazon that includes 3-4 in different sizes, yarn and pattern.. I think the project was a scarf. I can't remember at the moment. Oops. 

Everyone else has given you good advice. I'll just second, third or fourth it and say welcome :)

I know some people don't like Red Heart Super Saver (aka RHSS) because it's inexpensive, relatively stiff and isn't made of wool. You know what? When you're trying to learn, that's what you need. You're going to be trying a few stitches and pulling them out over and over. Delicate yarn won't put up with that.

How big your hands are and whether you have arthritis may determine what kind of hooks you like. I have huge, stiff hands and use a knife hold, and Bates hooks work best for me. RHSS takes an H hook for me to get about four stitches to the inch. Most "comfort grip" hooks won't work for me at all because the padding isn't where I need it. Rubber pencil grips, on the other hand, will work on bigger size hooks and are a lot cheaper.

If you can get out to shop, see if you can find a package of plastic Bates hooks. They're less than three bucks for the six most common sizes. Aluminum Boye or Bates hooks are around a dollar and a half apiece unless you find them on sale. Quite often, a large Goodwill or Salvation Army store will have hooks in their craft section. You might go in and hold a few just to see what seems natural to you. For that matter, you're likely to find a beginner crochet book there at some point and bags of odds and ends of yarn are very common for a couple of dollars. Don't forget the videos and free patterns on here, either.

Whatever you make first should be something small and simple, but something you really want. Coasters, coin purses, a pretty square you like...learning to make a granny square is never a bad thing. Handwarmers are quick and easy and so are slippers. On here, goodtaste kindly shares neckwarmer patterns that are always pretty, easy and quick to make, and they never take a ton of yarn.

Whatever you choose and however you choose to do it, I hope you have fun!

Great advice.  The Boye and Bates hook choice often helps when you start looking at other hooks as well.  Once you know where you stand on the head of the hook you can start looking at what you like in a handle.  Some people are very happy with the basic metal hooks.  Some like myself found they eventually needed something more to hold on to to make the process comfortable.

You may find you love the first hook you try or you may need to experiment with a few before you find the right match that is why starting with just a few isn't a bad choice or you end up with sets you may never use.  I am a Bates fan and it took me a while of experimenting to discover the Bates Bamboo hooks worked best for my grip/hold. 

That is why I always suggest buy one in a common size G/H and try it to see  how you do with it.  If it is a good feel expand, if not move forward.  I have tried lots of brands and speak from experience.  People love what they love, but it doesn't mean it will be a good fit for you.  The Clovers are hugely popular, but I've never found them comfortable.  I know the people I passed them on to loved them when I didn't like them. :lol

I don't know if you have access to local stores like Michaels, AC Moore, or JoAnn's but be aware each tends to carry one or the other brand of Boye/Bates.  As a Bates user I usually find I'm in the wrong store when I want a Bates product. :yes  I can never remember which one carries Bates in store.

Ironically Knitting Warehouse has pretty good prices on basic hooks, if you need to buy online.  I find their prices and selection a bit better than Joann's.  They usually have pretty good deals on yarn, too.  

While the Internet has wonderful resources I found books worked for me.  Until recently, my access to technology wasn't any where near where I would crochet, so Internet videos weren't terribly useful.  Now my tablet is useful for looking up a technique that isn't in one of my reference books. 

Try your local library if you want a beginner how to book.  I'd also suggest considering some of the kids books.  I loved the kids how to crochet books.  The projects didn't do it for me, but the pictures were big, up close, and the directions were clear and didn't assume anything.  The beauty of the library books is if it doesn't work for you, return and try another, you haven't wasted money on a book that is useless to you.  If you find one that really helps then consider buying that one.  I picked up a couple of reference books that way.

Re the yarn from TYH, if you look at the Q&A, it says the yarn is not strong and is uneven in size.  I don't think it is a good idea at all.

You will be better off with a skein of Super Saver because it is smooth, even , and not prone to splitting (where the plies of the yarn get separated by the ppoint of the hook and cause problems).  I'ts very inexpensive so you can get several skeins in colors you like.  But do not get a multicolored yarn because this will make it a lot harder to see your stitches.  

In the link that Granny Square posted there is lots of great helpful info, first the yarn weights and hook sizes, also stitch references and how to read a pattern etc.  

Hi, welcome to the ville :hook   I have a question, will you be able to shop in person,  or do you have to order online?

However many replies you get, that is probably how many different opinions there will be!  Everybody has different preferences.  My personal  :2c 2¢ worth:

There is no need to start out with a set of hooks.  You only need 1 hook to learn, at most 2-3 sizes to experiment with.  

I know nothing about Rosemary.  It looks like a copycat of the popular Clover Amour hooks http://www.allaboutami.com/post/60977426890/cloveramourhooks   If you wanted these, you could get them for less by using a 60% coupon at Joanns Fabric.  

The first thing you will be doing is learning the basic stitches.   I assume you have found a how-to book to follow, or a website you like, or have a person to teach you.  Let us know if you need recommendations of books or sites   :compute   :ccompute         When learning a new stitch it is best to have a smooth yarn in a light color so you can easily see your stitches.   

I would recommend you get a skein of worsted weight acrylic or acrylic-wool blend yarn in a light-ish color that you like.  I agree with Granny Square that Super Saver is a good choice.  

And get a crochet hook size 5mm (US size H) and one 5.5 mm (US size I).  If you go to a Joann store, they carry several brands of hooks  http://www.joann.com/needle-arts/knit-and-crochet-supplies/crochet-hooks/#prefn1=online_exclusive&prefv1=Available%20In%20Select%20Stores    The Susan Bates Luxite (white plastic) hooks are actually not bad, and you can get several sizes for only a few dollars.  I think the best hook to start with would be the Clover Amour, there is a reason they are more expensive, it's a very good value if you use a coupon.  

If you are going to shop online, Joanns also carries the Tulip Etimo hook which is my very favorite hook now.  Again they are not inexpensive but very much worth it.  http://www.joann.com/caron-tulip-etimo-crochet-hook-size-7/zprd_10820439a.html#prefn1=brand&prefn2=online_exclusive&prefv1=Tulip&prefv2=Available+In+Select+Stores%7COnline+Exclusive&start=1

OK, gonna post now but will add more later ;-)  

Regarding hooks - I have no experience with Rosemary hooks so can't comment on them specifically.  This kit's price seems really good for padded hooks (about what you'd expect to pay for a set of non-padded ones, with the needles, stitch markers, and ruler/gauge individually in a big box store).  

However...there are several ways that people hold their hooks.  Some grip the hooks like a pencil, and some specialized hook handles are not comfortable for this grip type.  Others grip the hook overhand, and thicker, even egg-shaped handles are more comfortable for them.  

Also, this sounds trivial...but...people also have preference for the shape of the hook.  In the US, it's often described as 'Boye' versus 'Bates' brand style.  Boye style fans hooks are more - sculpted?  Bates are more in-line, the hook is more like a slash in the body of the hook, and the tip is wider than Boye style.  Fans of either side often rabidly despise using the other style.  The set that you linked to appear to be Boye style.

The reason I'm saying all this is that, even though $20 isn't a huge investment, it might not hurt to make a small purchase of a single plain old aluminum Boye and Bates hook and test drive them before you decide to purchase a larger set.  

Regarding yarn - these bon-bons are expensive for the yardage, you could easily get 3 times more (of all of these tiny skeins combined) for the same price.  One of these little skeins would be about enough to make a bookmark or bracelet...Are you in the US?  I suggest stopping at Walmart, Michaels, or Joanns and picking up a skein of light colored, non-varigated yarn in worsted or DK weight.  (Darker and varigated yarn is harder to see your stitches when you are learning).  Red Heart Super Saver is inexpensive and a good yarn to practice with, comes in a lot of colors and can be found everywhere. 

Here is a reference that describes the US yarn weight system, you will see a little symbol on yarn bands as shown here (little skeins with a number on them) which show what size/weight the yarn is.  This chart also shows a rough guide of hook sizes to use with each weight of yarn.  

Archived