Hello, I am very new to crocheting and would like to learn more.

Franziska Kronberger

When my grandmama died I got all of her things for crocheting and would like to learn how to use them.

Hi  Franziska!  welcome to the ville  :hook

Inherited tools, yarns, and threads are a treasure.  

Do you already know some crochet stitches?

Crafty Minx site has a good "Crochet School" http://www.craftyminx.com/crochet-school/   for the basics.  

There are a lot of good books available on crocheting.  I don't know where you live, but in the US, most public libraries have books on crocheting.

Is there anything specific you want to learn?  

To start, maybe something simple like a hat.

The Crochetcabana site has many tutorials.  You can start with Working in the Round http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/round_howto.html

and then go to Making a Hat http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/round_hat.html

Those should give you a lot of information about how to make a hat to the size you want and you can use any weight of yarn.

In English, there are 2 different sets of names for stitches:  the US version and the UK/Australian version http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/38393-usuk-stitch-name-comparison-table/

The sites I linked use US stitch names.  

When my grandmama died I got all of her things for crocheting and would like to learn how to use them.

oh how lucky! Condolences on her passing, but for goodness sakes keep up her memories and her work :)  I adore old things, I like to go to our local Hospice Thrift store, there are so many things that elderly people and their families have donated especially crafts. I've picked up so many beautiful doilies, crocheted pieces and unfinished projects, not to mention many nice yarns and tools. Ms Kronberger, I learned not from videos or another person teaching me- but from downloading old books from the internet that had illustrations, and from really old pamphlet/booklets I find at the thrift store (aka "charity shop" for UK people/Europeans)

the pictures and instructions in the old books are far better for learning than any of the new things out now. Every stitch, every thing I have made from reading the instruction and looking at the picture in the book. I am all self taught. I just barely learned, and have already made my own patterns in crochet. People will tell you to "practice making granny squares" I will tell you, to practice by making an easy pattern such as a scarf! I did not make any "practice pieces" I did not wish to waste my time, so I started by actually making some thing to start. I read the pattern, and if it appears I can understand it, I will sit down with my crochet hook and yarns and commence crocheting.

Easy project would be a scarf, maybe TOO easy. My first thing was a "Hooded Scarf". I also learned how to connect two separate yarns: use "Russian Join" they call it.

I am now making my very first doily! It is called "Spider Web Doily" from a free pattern I found on "Free Vintage Crochet" website, just look for the site it is very popular. They are all old patterns from books.

I do not bother searching for "free crochet patterns" on internet search as most of them are all junk and things that are too simple for me: oven mitt pads, wash cloth. Sorry but wash cloth is so cheap in store why bother making a crochet one no one will like to wash their face with.  The websites that advertise for Free Patterns mostly require you to view many ads and have too much junk and time wasting on the site. The only one I myself use is that vintage crochet site I mentioned, but your personal preference may be different.

My grandmother also crocheted, knitted, made lace and other beautiful things that they could probably put in a museum. Unfortunately, my family was an old European mentality, and it was not correct to ask our elders to teach us things by our demand (funny I know!) so I never did learn how to do these things from my late grandmother, who never sat us down for her to teach us, perhaps she did not think we wanted to know these old things. Either way, she is missed I am sure as you miss your grand mama.

Good luck, crocheting is VERY easy, it is all repetitive, you get better at it with time. It takes no special skills or brains, and you can make something nice very quickly so gifts are no problem when you have not much money. I made all my family gifts from things I made. The yarns and things can get costly, so again, I check those charity thrift stores and places for someone's old donations. I found some very nice crochet hooks, knit needles, many old vintage things and sets. I never go to eBay and re-sell the things, I only buy what I can use, and use what I buy, I make gifts or donate what I make or make things for myself.

you will never complain of boredom or feel "useless" now that you have those tools. Best wishes,

Ms 2manythreads

Archived