Linked Double Crochet (LDC) for Closing the Gap After a Ch3 Turning Chain

redrosesdz

Question

I have watched many videos and read a lot of advice for the dreaded gap between the ch-3 turning chain and the next dc in a row or a round.  Several crochetville members have given some really cool advice for solving this problem.  Some of the solutions out there are really complicated, but I finally found a simple solution that works for me.  So, I thought I'd share it. 

It's called the Linked Double Crochet (LDC) and here's how it works...

• Make your ch-3 turning chain.
  • Insert your hook in the middle back bump of the turning chain.  Yarn over and draw through a loop.  This counts as your yarn over. 
  • Insert your hook in the next stitch.  Draw through a loop and complete the dc.

This has an added benefit of making the turning chain straight and the top easier to find for either the end of a row or join for a round!

You can also do a LDC to link the last dc in a round to the turning chain, before the join.  Right before you yarn over to complete the last dc, insert your hook in the middle of the turning chain, draw through a loop.  It counts as your last yarn over, so pull it through the 2 loops on your hook.  Then do your normal join to the top of the ch-3.

2 answers to this question

Archived