Save hours weaving ends..

This doesn't work as well as weaving in.  When you work over an end, your 'stitch bottoms' are looser than if you didn't work over an end, and the ends can back out easier than if you wove them in.

I typically weave through the yarn (not under or between stitches), weaving in 1 direction, then turning, securing,  and working back over the same path -- it will never come out. 

I think that is a good idea and I want to share that with you. http://joyofmotion.no/blog/save-hours-weaving-ends/
Krys

I always weave my ends in with a large needle by going back and forth for about 4-6 stitches and at least 4 rows up or below, then snipping the remaining tail off. It can be monotonous but makes it so much more worth it in the long run.

The procedure in your link can work well if you drop it after 4-6 stitches, but don't cut it off yet, then pick up the same tail in the next row up and crochet into the new stitches again for about 4-6 stitches, then repeat the same for a few more rows, then snip off. There is still the potential of the tail working it's way out possibly, especially when laundering the item, but, not as much as if carrying for only one row.

When I am making something from squares, I weave in ends as each square is completed. Hope these suggestions make sense and helps. :)

Hmmm. This is an interesting method to tie in ends. I think you'd have to leave a fairly long end on the second skein to begin crocheting over and when you are done stitching with the first skein, tie the 2 strands up tight and personal. This probably takes some practice, but I think a tie is appropriate, then continue crocheting with the second skein over the tail of the first skein. I'll have to try this.

I always tie between skeins or when changing colors because I do not want to regret unravelling, as has happened to some people's projects.

I had to come back and tell you this:

I get a kick out of my youngest sister. She is so determined to not have her ends unravel that she does this - when she makes a dishcloth, she ties it off at the end of the pattern, weaves the tail end all the way across the cloth to the other side, then ties it again. At this point she feels it's safe to snip it. :lol

For ends that aren't project/piece ends, but color changes or new skein joins, I 'spit splice' for wool (works better for same color - unply the ends for a couple of inches, overlap, get wet, rub between your hands for a while - felts 2 skein ends together), or use a braided join for non-wool

one color

two colors

I never try that method as I post  above. But I think in some caces it might work. I will try that. I am a VERY good end weaver and I spend a lot of time on that:(. Probably way to much, I just do not want anything to unrewal! and nothing ever did or will! LOL.

Real Deal you are "laughing" at your sister? you should see what I am doing with those ends! LOL. Sometimes I am little angry at my self that I am spending so much time on that. And I do know that is probably way overdoing the way I am doing that. BUT, I just can't help my self LOL. 

I remember when I was crocheting very long scarf's for my little granddaughters  They were extra long to go around the face-nose twice, so would not be slipping down". They live way North in Wisconsin, winters are very cold there.  Most of my scarf's for them I was crocheting at the long side (side to side). IF I needed to connect more yarn I would knot very close to the side so would not be that visible (at least according to me LOL). And I would leave both ends long enough so I could weave each end (separately) to one of the ends of that scarf and I "put" them in a middle of the tassels-fringes I usually made on the ends of those scarf's. That way none of those ends would ever become visible. Many times I just would figure it out how much yarn I would need for one full row and I would just not bother with connecting that yarn. I would finish & start on one of those ends of the scarf. Sometimes that was a lot of waist of yarn because those scarfs were very long. Now I am just guesing they must of been over 2 yards long or so. My daughter loved those long scarfs. I was making them in  a "normal" length too for those times of the year that was not very cold.

I remember my daughter pointed out to me, that my scarf's are holding up so well even after many washes. That no yarn ends are coming out like those store bought. I told her that there is a reason for that not to be happening and that was: "prevention":).. I was doing the same thing when I was crocheting those "tube" hats for them. I would not knot the yarn in a middle of the row.

Krys

For ends that aren't project/piece ends, but color changes or new skein joins, I 'spit splice' for wool (works better for same color - unply the ends for a couple of inches, overlap, get wet, rub between your hands for a while - felts 2 skein ends together), or use a braided join for non-wool

one color

two colors

Thank you Granny Square for those links. I never knew about those methods of joining the yarn. I am a self thought crocheter.

Talking about granny squares..Right now I am crocheting a blankets with granny squares for Pandy - my daughter's cat. I know that must sound little "stupid" using granny squares for a cat blanket. But it all started about a week ago or so..when I give my daughter 2 wash cloths crocheted like granny squares. My daughter left one of them down on a carpet of stair way to take that later to the other bathroom. Pandy just loves to lie down on that. I was asked to make a bigger granny square for her LOL. I told my daughter that will have all those opening. She said that is probably why Pandy loves that! LOL. Not only that there is another new cat and a little doggie. All of them want to lie down on that. Unbelievable!. She even sent me a pictures of them on those wash cloths. She give them that second one and Pandy want both of them! :). Pandy dos not like when the other cat or that dog want to go on it, she is chasing them away..

Krys

I don't think it sounds stupid to make a cat blanket out of granny squares!   Granny squares are fun to make, and if the pets enjoy them too, that is great  :lol

Yes, they do have their likes & dislikes.. So far I am on my second granny square for them (in bigger size).

Pandy seems to like everything crochet out of yarn:).

Krys

That is so funny about Pandy! I have cats, and they do try to get things away from each other. My cats like to take over anything on the floors, so this includes plastic bags, newspapers, paper towels, cardboard, magazines, etc. Right now my female Tiara thinks she is The Queen, because she has a closed pizza box (clean of course) with 2 paper towels on top of it, and she heads right for it when she comes in the kitchen.

I think you will absolutely have to make 3 grannies to keep them all happy!

That is so funny about Pandy! I have cats, and they do try to get things away from each other. My cats like to take over anything on the floors, so this includes plastic bags, newspapers, paper towels, cardboard, magazines, etc. Right now my female Tiara thinks she is The Queen, because she has a closed pizza box (clean of course) with 2 paper towels on top of it, and she heads right for it when she comes in the kitchen.

I think you will absolutely have to make 3 grannies to keep them all happy!

Such a dear story about the pizza boxes. I used to always have a cat or two until my last old Main Coon mix passed. He loved climbing into anything. We couldn't find him one day and after searching all over the house with no luck, we found him on top of a open, used pizza box on top of the trash can just snoozing away. Guess what was all over his muzzle? Pizza sauce! And was his tummy ever full. To this day we don't know how he got outside.

I am so grateful for all the wonderful crochet tips, tricks and little stories about so many different topics on this forum. Just wanted to express my appreciation for everyone here.

Thank you guys:)

Real Deal, yes I am making 3 of them LOL. Even an Owl for Pandy. She got her eye on that keychain owl that I made for my daughter couple weeks ago. For those of you that missed that post and would like to read about that.. that story is here: http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/155274-owl-keychain-washcloths/

Because of Pandy and that keychain owl my daughter hangs her keys on the hook that she just nail down to the wall LOL. The contents of her purse is easily accessible by Pandy, it doesn't have a zipper.

Krys

Such a dear story about the pizza boxes. I used to always have a cat or two until my last old Main Coon mix passed. He loved climbing into anything. We couldn't find him one day and after searching all over the house with no luck, we found him on top of a open, used pizza box on top of the trash can just snoozing away. Guess what was all over his muzzle? Pizza sauce! And was his tummy ever full. To this day we don't know how he got outside.

I am so grateful for all the wonderful crochet tips, tricks and little stories about so many different topics on this forum. Just wanted to express my appreciation for everyone here.

Thank you:). I love to read all those stories too:)

I do not even know how I got from that topic about weaving the ends to cats, dogs & granny squares..?? LOL

I don't think our moderators are happy about that. I think the rules are that we suppose to keep our "conversations" close to the Topics.

Krys

Archived