Craft Glue To Use With Crocheted Work

yarnjeannie

Question

Can anyone recommend a good craft glue?  I am crocheting over foam balls and want to glue the eyes in place in the foam so that they don't come loose.  I purchased E6000 which according to the package could be used on all sorts of items, but when I went to glue an ornament hanger back in place with it, I see that it ate away at the foam ball!  So I definitely need to find something else to glue the eyes in place or they will just fall out when the glue eats away around them.

Any ideas?

8 answers to this question

Does plain ole Elmer's Glue not work??

Elmer's is good for paper, popsicle sticks, pipe cleaners, etc.  It's a bit too messy for yarn and doesn't last as long as some of the craft glues.  Tampa Doll does a lot of amigurumi, so she would know.  Her suggestion of a hot glue gun on low sounds like the best option.

Those acrylomides etc "E3000" and Super Glues work by literally dissolving the thing you are gluing it to, thats what happened to your foam! That is also why they say "use one tiny drop and no more" because it isnt really a "glue" but a chemical that turns the item you're gluing into a liquid (kind of) and making the two parts one liquid mass that hardens as one item in the end. Sorry my explanation not good English.

Use FABRIC glue only! I can't recommend what kind, use any kind that says Fabric Glue. My personal opinion I would not use any glue in crochet projects but only sew or crochet or slip stitch item to thing.

Oh sorry I did not see the Glue Gun reply before I posted. Anyway maybe my advice will help someone in future. Thank you.

There's a glue specifically for foam with the silly name of "Hold the Foam". On the tube it states "Glue for Styrofoam" and "instant grab, repositionable, water clean-up". I've had mine quite a while but haven't used it. It's in a 2 oz tube.

Thanks, all

I have tried the hot glue gun to fasten the plastic eyes into position (They are the plastic safety eyes with washers.  I push the post of the eye into the foam, and anchor it in place with the hot glue.)  It's been working just fine and keeping the eyes secure.  Thanks for all your suggestions.  

Archived