It's Beginning to Look a Lot like Christmas - CAL

darski

I just got a Yahoo reminder that I should start a Christmas Afghan CAL.  :eek   This came out of a discussion in another CAL.

I admit that I have been unwell and not able to crochet as I would like but I'm thinking I can find a square and at least make a throw or a lapghan.

I do hope some others will join in here and supply some links to patterns.

Here's a Red Heart pattern page for Christmas.

that will get you in the mood.

This gingerbread house pattern is tempting.

anybody?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might have to try the small stockings. There is a lady that makes them every year for the troops. They of course have a very early deadline but it's never too soon to start for next year. I haven't had good luck finding a pattern with a heel that looks right when I do it.

I also want to make some spiral coasters. I should probably look around for that pattern. I think I originally saw it on you tube.

I might have to try the small stockings. There is a lady that makes them every year for the troops. They of course have a very early deadline but it's never too soon to start for next year. I haven't had good luck finding a pattern with a heel that looks right when I do it.

I also want to make some spiral coasters. I should probably look around for that pattern. I think I originally saw it on you tube.

Freepatterns .com has a peppermint coaster: https://www.freepatterns.com/detail.html?code=FC00502&cat_id=324

I've already made 8 pair of mittens to gift. They are made using a double ended tunisian hook. I live in the Midwest and it gives me a smile when I find a pattern that makes up something that's VERY warm. They look really good and because they are made using 2 different colors, you can really get some interesting color variations. I made one pair using homespun for the inside color and they look like they have a thick fleece lining  :yes 

http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/tunisian-%E2%80%9C-round%E2%80%9D-mittens

I've already made 8 pair of mittens to gift. They are made using a double ended tunisian hook. I live in the Midwest and it gives me a smile when I find a pattern that makes up something that's VERY warm. They look really good and because they are made using 2 different colors, you can really get some interesting color variations. I made one pair using homespun for the inside color and they look like they have a thick fleece lining  :yes

http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/tunisian-%E2%80%9C-round%E2%80%9D-mittens

I love the look of those mittens but I have sworn off crochet mittens  :rofl  good on you for doing them.

I'm surprised they didn't refer to that hook as a Cro-knit hook.  there are several patterns for baby sets and such that use that hook. croknit is a good technique to learn.

I would like to get back to Tunisian myself but with all the loops on the hook at once the fabric is too heavy for much use.

I'm still debating what afghan to make for this one. :think

I just picked up a couple of out of print crochet ornament patterns to try.  I'm looking forward to making some Christmas ornaments.

That seems like a good idea - I should look around to see what might catch my eye :gallery

Also, I know this is a tired old crochet Christmas item, but I need to make a few of those skates with the paper clip as the blade decorations. The girls in records just love things like that. I made them little 4 leaf clover decorations for St Patrick's Day...you would have thought I gave them an ounce of gold. They love little trinkets to decorate their cubicles. And they appreciate the work that goes into something hand made.

Also, I know this is a tired old crochet Christmas item, but I need to make a few of those skates with the paper clip as the blade decorations. The girls in records just love things like that. I made them little 4 leaf clover decorations for St Patrick's Day...you would have thought I gave them an ounce of gold. They love little trinkets to decorate their cubicles. And they appreciate the work that goes into something hand made.

I love those things.  I might just make a bunch as book marks and leave them in the Laundry room book section. :ty

I have decided that I will make a Christmas Baby set of blanket, sweater and hat..  I just need to find some green that will go with my red.

Today when I went to look for the pattern for the ice skates, I actually found one that is not flat, it's made in the round and stuffed with fiber fill. Well, I printed it to see if I could figure it out. But I also have the other one as a back up plan.

Darski, I don't know how to import links (copy and paste) on my iPad. If I remember tomorrow, I will put in a link from my regular computer.

I can't wait to see your baby set. They are always lovely.

It's not tired and old if you don't have any.  There are so many people who don't crochet that they don't have these kinds of things.  I know there are some plastic canvas ornaments I only get when I go to Church sales.  Sure they are old patterns, but they always seem to sell because people like me just don't do plastic canvas.

I love making the ami crochet ornaments for people with kids because they appeal to the kids and they are unbreakable leaving the parents with their other ornaments intact.  I still have my Mom's box of "unbreakable" ornaments that hung on my childhood tree.  They are a mix of handmade and purchased ornaments that we were allowed to put on the tree as kids because they wouldn't break if we dropped them while decorating.  I say unbreakable because the dogs have proved me wrong.  I came home when day in a panic thinking one of my dogs was bleeding about the mouth only to realize she had chewed the roof off a wooden barn and was thrilled with her conquest.

I've since learned what is unbreakable for children can be all too tempting for dogs. :lol:D

I have started the blankie for my set.  It is from a baby afghan book on my kindle and I love the pattern.

I'm going to post a pic tomorrow showing my colours but with 2 greens.  I am going with the lighter - brighter- green but I love the Christmas-y look of the darker green. 

Want to see if other agree with my choice. I wonn't need it until the border comes along so I can change my mind :think

I do feel better getting back to my crochet :heart

edited to add link to book

Here is what I have so far.  It's very dull here today so I had to take this pic on my balcony.

the pic is not a great demonstration of how the brightness of my choice matches the red (and white) yarns but life's like that :rofl

post-4896-0-94937100-1441823352_thumb.jpg

let the games begin...

Darski, you are so tech savvy. I wish I could keep up with technology. I have an old Kindle that my husband bought and then decided he wanted a Nook, and then decided he wanted an iPad....so he doesn't remember his Amazon password anymore so I have to "reset to factory settings". That kind of thing trips me up. So I just read Pride and Prejudice over and over!!

I don't know a thing about Twitter, Instagram, or any of those things.

Oops, I'm ranting. Anyway glad you are feeling well enough to dig into the yarn. I love the red afghan that was underneath the green and white yarn.

I'm hoping my foster kittens will get kennel space at a Petsmart soon. LOVE them, but I can't crochet with them now because they just can't resist yarn. I had a 3 strand cat mat in a bag next to my chair in the living room. They had the whole thing tied in a knot around one of the handles on the bag. It was crazy. I ended up having to cut the yarn and it still took a long time to un-do the mess. I'm getting jumpy to try those coasters.

If you have a kindle you can use the cloud reader to look at your Kindle crochet books online.  It is just a couple of clicks on the amazon site.

I have a Kindle and a Kindle fire.  the Fire  (pad) is nice for my crochet books as well.

I never think of myself as 'techy' but I guess I have learned enough to make my computing life easier.

:rofl

My Kindle is ancient. It's not like a tablet. I do have an iPad for that kind of thing, but I have not tried a crochet e book yet.

I tried the spiral coaster but I am going to pull the outer border out. It seemed like a good idea, but it's just too busy and the colors don't match. But I did want you to know that I got started...

post-13802-0-77133000-1442118381_thumb.jpg

Strange, it looks much better in the picture than in real life. That is odd. But it's still coming off. I'll probably just do the border in white.

I'm just now getting around to thinking about making gifts. But I'm going to be reasonable about it! Every time I make a long list, it never gets done so this time I'll just attack one at a time.

I'm thinking of making this shawl for a sweet neighbor lady. I've made it before and, as I recall, it went pretty quickly.

http://web.archive.org/web/20110620135314/http://knottie.net/index.php?p=bluejeanshawl

post-6669-0-64245700-1442195093_thumb.jpg

I'm just now getting around to thinking about making gifts. But I'm going to be reasonable about it! Every time I make a long list, it never gets done so this time I'll just attack one at a time.

I'm thinking of making this shawl for a sweet neighbor lady. I've made it before and, as I recall, it went pretty quickly.

http://web.archive.org/web/20110620135314/http://knottie.net/index.php?p=bluejeanshawl

attachicon.gifblueshawl1.jpg

I made that years ago and it did go quickly.  It is also a nice shawl with great pattern stitch.

Archived