Help! Need help finding a particular yarn!

Okay, so I really need help! I made a hat for my son from this yarn that found, but bought like a year ago...so I can't remember where I bought it and the label must have gotten thrown away. I absolutely love the way the that the hat turned out and the way that it feels!! So much so that I really want to make a blanket out if it, but I cannot remember where I bought it or what kind of material it is or anything! :-( It looks to be about a size 4 in weight, it's so smooth and silky and soft and really drapes so well! It kind of has a heavy feeling to it (even though it's only a small child's hat). Does anyone know what kind of yarn this could be?!? Stupidly, I bought a acrylic/alpaca mix online and it is definitely not what I am looking for. I use Caron 100% acrylic to make the hats in my shop, but that isn't what I used to make this particular hat. (The Caron yarn seems to be lighter and a bit more course than the yarn I'm in search of). Could it be a silk/bamboo mix or an acrylic or wool mix? I'm totally lost, but really really want to figure it out so I can buy more! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

welcome to the ville!

Caron makes a lot of yarns.  Which specific one(s) have you ruled out?  

(I have to say that your post is making me feel better about my compulsion to save at least one label from every yarn I use.  I'd be able to at least narrow it down to a few suspects in a case like this. )

I do know it's not the Caron simply soft because that is what I usually use to make the hats in my shop. Here are a few more images. The black hat is another hat I made with the simply soft. It does look similar, but check out the last picture. I took both hats, picked them up by a corner and dropped them from about a two foot height....do you see how the blue hat falls so differently? It just drapes so nicely and is so much more silky/slinky/soft...this may sound nuts, but it's almost like an oily feeling (but it's not oily, just really soft and silky). Oh and I will definitely be keeping the labels from here on out!! ???? Thanks in advance for all the help, advice and recommendations!! ????post-75854-0-52401700-1441326939_thumb.jpg

I also was thinking it looked like it could be Simply soft, but wondered if that was the Caron yarn you usually use.

I wonder if it is a rayon blend of some kind?  that would include what is usually called bamboo because the basis of the rayon is bamboo.  I've noticed that bamboo and other rayons tend to feel heavy.  Rayon is often very very smooth and silky.  it feels kind of cool to the touch.  

are you on Ravelry?  here is a list of yarns that include rayon and are worsted wt.  http://www.ravelry.com/yarns/search#fiber=rayon&sort=best&weight=worsted&view=thumblist

you can change the criteria on the left side of the page to see other options, i would look at rayon too.  and look for a high proportion of rayon/bamboo to account for that smooth cool feel.  

Could it possibly be Paton's Metallic in Platinum or is it too shiny? It's silky feeling and a 4 weight yarn.

Where do you usually do your yarn shopping? Maybe that will give you a clue at least where you purchased this particular yarn. Sure do hope you identify it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived