Flat round circle help

klp

Question

I'm crocheting or trying to crochet a round rug. I need help with what to do at the end and beginning of each round. Does anyone have or know of a tutorial... A detailed one?

Thanks in advance

9 answers to this question

It really depends on what kind of stitching you're doing and since it's a rug, is the yarn really bulky?  Is it a spiral or in rounds?  Is is round or oval or square or rectangular?

I am sure that there are a ton of free videos out there that would help.  However, if you want something that is extremely easy to follow, very comprehensive and don't mind spending a few dollars, I highly recommend Marty Miller's Mastering Foundation Crochet for learning to any kind of rounds (round, oval, square, or rectangle.)  The class is at Craftsy.com.

Linking to a tutorial page with lots of handy stuff in there, but on the left side, under Crocheting in the round:

http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/tutorials.html

How to crochet in the round (joining each round and chaining up, better if you want color changes)

Working in a spiral (no need to worry about joining each round and chaining up, better for 1 color things)

Edit, I'm sorry, I don't know what happened to my link >.<  Fixed it, I hope

I'm changing colour every few rounds. At the moment I am getting a horrible seam through the rug where I join. As I am using fabric yarn, it's very noticeable. I am wondering if I am joining correctly. I currently join to the second chain of my ch2 with a sl.

So you would sl st in the top of the ch2, then do another ch2 for the turning ch of the next round, correct?

What stitch is the rest of the round?  I'm guessing UK half treble/US half double.  

Are you following a pattern?

Instead of joining with a sl st, you could try integrating the color change.  When you're read to change colors, finish the previous stitch until the last "yarn over, pull through."  Drop the old color and pick up the new one.  Yarn over and pull through with the new color to finish the stitch.  Then just continue with your ch-2 for the new round.

Test it to see if you like it any better.

Can you take a pic showing us what you've done, where you don't like it?

Instead of joining with a sl st, you could try integrating the color change.  When you're read to change colors, finish the previous stitch until the last "yarn over, pull through."  Drop the old color and pick up the new one.  Yarn over and pull through with the new color to finish the stitch.  Then just continue with your ch-2 for the new round.

there still has to be a way to attach the last stitch of the round to the first stitch of the round, otherwise there will be a big gap there.  unless i am missing something in your description...I have been known to misunderstand ;-)  

there still has to be a way to attach the last stitch of the round to the first stitch of the round, otherwise there will be a big gap there.  unless i am missing something in your description...I have been known to misunderstand ;-)  

No misunderstanding!  If the project is in true rounds, then the last stitch would be the sl st into the first ch-2.  This can be done by pulling in the new color through for the sl st, instead of the old color.  If the project is in spirals, the last stitch would be whatever stitch was being done to finish the round count.  The new color would be pulled through in the last yarn over, pull through.  Either way, the color change gets hidden and there is no extra loop for the join.  I didn't mention the sl st, because I didn't know if klp was doing rounds or a spiral.  I should have added that the yarn needs to be anchored by crocheting over it 1-2 times, but only when there are tails, rather than carrying the yarn from a previous color change.

I stopped changing colors by doing a join when I read about this method in one of my crochet books.  I think it's in "The Crochet Stitch Bible."  I do the same thing when I'm changing skeins of the same color.  The only time I join a new yarn by slip stitching it on is when I'm starting at a new location, like a border or adding on to a yoke.  I really like the smooth look of integrating a yarn change and it's a lot easier.

ETA: Yesterday I read about joining by just doing a pull though and starting the ch up.  I'm going to give it a try next time.  I've done a dc and a tc join before, but they are a royal pain to get right.  I had one project that showed how to do them.  It required looping the yarn on the hook and holding it there while you try to do the stitch.  If it's done right, it looks good, but I had to redo them many times to get one that looked right.  LOL

Archived