I can't understand this specific cluster stitch for my doily

Jude in a juke

Question

I've been working on a Pineapple Strawberry doily for a few days now, and I've just come across the cluster stitch they have written on the page that I just can't seem to understand. 

Here is a photo of a finished version of the doily I've found online,

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1420/1160703213_c78a18e90a_b.jpg

here's a photo of where I am on mine,

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11900082_1153381578010584_5014055844945501072_n.jpg?oh=87c1c57dfb51d65eb5201c077e9e9a5d&oe=5671A28D

and here is the stitch I'm having problems with, as well as a link to the full free pattern. 

Rnd 28: Beg shell in shell, shell in next ch-2 sp, shell in next shell, * ch 3, cluster, ch 3, shell in next shell, shell in next ch-2 sp, shell in next shell, ch 3, (sl st in next ch-4 lp, ch 4) 5 times, sl st in next ch-4 lp, ch 3 **, shell in next shell, shell in next ch-2 sp, 
shell in next shell, rep from * around, end rnd at **; join.

Cluster: Holding last 2 lps of next 6 sts on hook, work (3 dc in next shell) twice, yo and through all lps on hook.

http://www.momsloveofcrochet.com/PineappleStrawberryDoily.html

I've tried figuring it out on my own for the last hour or so to no avail. If anyone could show me some pictures of how to do this certain cluster stitch, that would be wonderful. If no pictures, then try to break it down for me in the easiest way possible, since it's hard for me to understand this as it is.

Please and thank you! It would be greatly appreciated.

7 answers to this question

The ** is a place marker.  Completely ignore the ** as you are going around the doily.  It is simply marking the spot (in the pattern) where you will be ending the row.

Often times people thinks that is where the repeat stops (and go back to the * point), but ** is only (usually) the spot something different happens at the end of a set of repeats.

edit - the cluster -  you start in one shell with a 3-dc cluster, but don't finish it - then move to the next shell, make another 3-dc cluster, THEN finish them both together.

I understand that part just fine. The part I do not understand is the cluster. Specifically, Cluster: Holding last 2 lps of next 6 sts on hook, work (3 dc in next shell) twice, yo and through all lps on hook.

I can understand everything else in this pattern, except the cluster.

Welcome to the ville!

Ok, so you know how to make a cluster, right? Like this https://www.anniescatalog.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=47

Basically make partial dc sts and finish them off together.

Now this pattern is confusing in that you do not hold 2 loops of each st. You keep the loop on hook that is there when you start

The cluster, and also keep the last loop of each of the stitches. Here you will make a cluster that bridges the shells you have made alongside the pineapple. So in the chain space of the first shell, do three partial dc keeping last loops on hook. Then in the ch sp of the next shell make three more partial dc, then finish off all six of them together.

It makes sense in my mind, hope i have described it ok! Your photos enabled me to see it, i would never have gotten it just from the pattern.

Agree, really you are kinda sorta holding the last 2 loops from the first stitch of the first cluster on your hook (the loop that is on your hook, plus 1 loop from that first stitch), but after that you are adding only 1 loop to your hook for each stitch added to this double cluster.

Agree, really you are kinda sorta holding the last 2 loops from the first stitch of the first cluster on your hook (the loop that is on your hook, plus 1 loop from that first stitch), but after that you are adding only 1 loop to your hook for each stitch added to this double cluster.

Yes, that description is very clear. :-)

Archived