Crochet circle help

PinkGlitter

Question

I'm trying to crochet a circle which will get turned into a stool cover. I had a hard time figuring out how to do circles instead of swirls. I finally got a good pattern but now as it is getting bigger, I see I have made it grow too fast and it is puffing up instead of staying flat. How can I fix this now? Or is it too late? Do I have to unravel it?! :'-(

Please help!

post-75399-0-43964800-1440522091_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

It looks like you may be increasing your stitches too much. Your first few rounds look pretty good, but it looks like your last few are ruffling to much. A little ruffling may be okay, especially if you want it to stretch over something, but too many are hard to block out.  You may want to unravel the rounds that are very ruffled, then continue on with the pattern, but do less increases. You don't always have to add stitches to every round to make a circle. You may want to try to do your increases every other round to see if that helps with the ruffling. Good luck!

You don't keep increasing every other stitch, that only works for row 2.

For sc, make 6 sc into ring, and increase by 6 sc (total) each round

For HDC, make 9 hdc into ring, and increase by 9 hdc (total) each round

For DC, same as above but start with 12, increase by 12 dc each round

The 'recipe' for the average crocheter is:

start with the number I said above, based on the stitch

increase in each stitch around

make 1 stitch, increase, repeat

make 2 stitches, increase, repeat

make 3 stitches, increase, repeat

make 4 stitches, increase, repeat

...and so on.

Tension does matter, if you make shorter stitches it may start to ruffle an you might have to skip some increases every few rounds to compensate.  If you make really tall stitches, you may have to add a few increases here and there to prevent it from cupping.

Sorry to say you will need to unravel back to the beginning of round 3.

NOTE - I LEFT OUT A STEP IN THE RECIPE EARLIER, HAS BEEN FIXED

You need to change the number of stitches between the increases as you make more rows.  You need to make the same number of incs on each round, so as the rounds get bigger, there aremore sts between the increases.  here is the basic formula  https://books.google.com/books?id=xQwW-E5ifSUC&pg=PA143&lpg=PA143&dq=crochet+circle+formula+triple&source=bl&ots=i9z1C6oTgO&sig=_aykqBmVqZ1tmy-GAf4eyrHGM00&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CD4Q6AEwBWoVChMI_cunsoHFxwIVVxKSCh01sA_X#v=onepage&q=crochet%20circle%20formula%20triple&f=false

also explained here http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/round_howto.html

Keep in mind that if your stitches are shorter you may want fewer increases, or if taller you may want more increases.  you can always throw in a no-increase round or 2 if it starts to ruffle---stop frequently and lay it down flat to see if there are any ruffles.  the increases sort of spread into the following rounds so you sometimes might have to rip back a few rounds to get to the part that actually lies flat, then redo the rounds with fewer increases.  

it looks like you have a round of triples then a round of singles.  if so, i wouldn't increase at all on the single round.  

the increases sort of spread into the following rounds so you sometimes might have to rip back a few rounds to get to the part that actually lies flat, then redo the rounds with fewer increases.  

:hi  Ha ha,  I'm usually the one who wanders off.

Magic, you looked at the sample a little closer than I did, I thought it was all doubles, I didn't spot the mix of stitches.

This throws the 'recipe' off, I'm not sure what the right number turns out to be for a mix of dc and sc...9 maybe? Totally guessing, would need to be swatched.

Pinkglitter, a little more info...to lie flat a circle needs the correct ratio between the diameter and the circumference.  SC is roughly half the height of DC, so if you start with sc and do 2 rounds, you have 12 stitches - so at (approximately) the same diameter, 2 rounds of sc and 1 round of DC both have 12 stitches.

I will see if I can find a pattern for something flat which alternates sc and dc....this doesn't have sc, but is all dc and has surface slip stitch which looks really cool

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/roller-coasters

I am not having luck with alternating dc/sc, a few fancy doily like things that wouldn't be good for a stool cover. 

I am very happy to report that after much unraveling and crocheting, I finally finished the stool cover!  :yay

My daughter was very excited to see it!  :cheer  :hug

Thank you for your help! This is the first "large" project I've done and without a pattern so I am very proud of myself!  :clap

post-75399-0-71793300-1443550131_thumb.jpg

I am very happy to report that after much unraveling and crocheting, I finally finished the stool cover!  :yay

My daughter was very excited to see it!  :cheer  :hug

Thank you for your help! This is the first "large" project I've done and without a pattern so I am very proud of myself!  :clap

attachicon.gifstool.jpg

That turned out great!  You should be proud of yourself!  :hook  Ripping and re-doing is the secret of creativity  :lol

Archived