Thread and yarn deferences

CraftyHooker

I think that would just be dk weight cotton yarn.  Here is a blog post by Vashti Braha about thread sizes http://crochetpatterncompanion.blogspot.com/2010/08/cotton-crochet-thread-sizes-equivalents.html     Sz 3 being the heaviest thread, and it is sport wt.  You might combine 2 strands of sz 5 thread to get a dk weight.  But as Vashti says, threads are different than yarns and will not feel the same, have the same drape etc.  So if a pattern calls for dk wt, i would use dk wt yarn.  Crochet thread may be too stiff.  

I was thinking more that it would be thick and weigh a lot. I don't think smaller ie sz 10, would be more stiff than the bigger thread. I guess a lot depends on your gauge and what kind of stitch pattern it is.

Way back in the 1970s, I remember seeing lots of patterns out there to make your own wedding dress out of #10 doily thread.  I agree, I wouldn't go any bigger than that weight of cotton.  Thicker yarn would be stiffer.

A few years ago someone re-purposed round doilies into a wedding dress - it was awesome.

I've always thought an elegant way to craft a wedding or evening dress - crochet a lacy (and maybe beaded) top/bodice that went over a plain (satin or other upscale fabric) underdress.  Something like this idea.

Here are some thread and lace weight dress and top patterns; not all are free, some might be in books or magazines that you'd have to hunt for. If you aren't a Ravelry member, I think you may be able to amend the filters at the left to select just the free ones if you want.

Archived