Need help to adapt border to my afghan

Robin Coe Banks

Question

I would like to make the border on the Crochet Sampler Afghan to put on the afghan squares that I have made but do not know how to figure out how many stitches that I will need for mine. How do I do the figuring to get the right amount? I have tried to figure but am just giving myself a headache. Can anyone help? I thought that if I could figure out the repeat then maybe I could figure it out but to no avail. Thank you for any help that you can give me.

http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/crochet-sampler-afghan

KTVSamplerC.pdf

5 answers to this question

Looking at the border pattern, I counted that the pattern is a repeat of 10 stitches along the sides.  The pattern uses the first 3 rounds to both lay a foundation for the lace and to increase to get to a number divisible by 10.  Rounds 4-6 are the lace.

So, count how many stitches you have on each side.  You may need to add an extra round of sc to increase your count or remove a round (like round 3) to decrease your count.  You can also try to fudge round 2 near the corners, but it won't lay as nice.

I hope this helps!  It's a really pretty border!

This is going to be a challenging border to adapt because the repeat is so wide, over a large number of stitches.  

It also has a repeat going around the corner, so if a repeat is x stitches, you can't (always) just figure you need a multiple of x stitches per side.  You will need to also figure the # of stitches of the corner piece--corner turnings can be more or fewer stitches.

So each side will need a stitch base of:

half a corner (may need to fudge if it's an odd number)

multiple of shell pattern

half a corner

I would approach this by wearing out my pencil eraser and scratch paper, not my yarn, to figure this out.  I'd try to diagram it.  The first row is sc: working from right to left as you would be making the stitches, make a bunch of xxxxx, since the first row is sc.  (Doesn't need to be 107, 15 should be more than enough; it looks like the repeat is about 12ish from the photo).  The goal should be to figure out a side repeat first, then add the corner repeat.  Give yourself room, when you plot the first row, to work up a few rows, then work down to turn the corner.

Then, plot out the next rows, right to left.  The repeat should begin to be evident, You should end up with a repeat and a fraction.  Go back and amend the fraction to plot out the corner.

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/chart_crochet.html

Above is a link for crochet symbols, if you are not familiar with them I think you will find them useful - I crocheted for years without knowing about them, now I'm disappointed if a lacy pattern doesn't have a symbol diagram along with the text.  

If the blanket you made doesn't have the right multiple of base stitches to start the border, just add some rounds - you may have to add rows and rounds to get it to come out right.

Good luck!

Edit - Hi Redroses dz, glad you figured out the repeat, I was still typing when you posted. I didn't try, I just wanted to give a suggestion of how to approach this problem in general.

If 10 is right, the 7 may mean the amount that is used for the 2 sides of the corner that would be on each side of the blanket

half corner - a bunch of shells - half corner

Plus, each corner has additional stitches made into 1 corner stitch, not into side stitches, so this sounds about right

Archived