Fiber Preferences/Opinions/Rants/Biases/Loves Wanted!

Sahkmet22

I'm conducting a research project for a marketing assignment, and you could really help me out! You get the opportunity to talk about your favorite products, and I'll get some material for my ten page paper. Everybody wins! 

Some of the questions I'm looking to answer are:

•     If you could crochet/spin/knit with any fiber what would it be?
  •     If all fiber was priced the same, what would you purchase?
  •     What fiber do you think is the highest in demand?
  •      Do you feel there is a drastic shortage of a particular fiber?
  •     What would your dream/perfect/miracle fiber be (100% Merino, 50/50 yak silk, etc.)?

Anything helps! 

Thank you so much :)

I feel bad that you haven't gotten any replies, yet.  The yarn fiber and weight really depends on the project.  If you're making something that is light and airy, a 2-ply cotton might be your choice.  If you're making a heavy sweater, a wool, alpaca or other animal fiber might be your choice.  If you're making something that you want to drape well, a silk or silk blend might be your choice (love bamboo silk for draping.)  For a baby item, a light weight acrylic, might be your choice to avoid any allergies.  For a bag or basket, a worsted acrylic might be your choice.  For doilies, ornaments and table runners, you might want to use thread.  Also, crocheters vs. knitters vs. spinners have different preferences. 

My preference is to use a variety or fibers, weights, types, etc., since I like to do a variety of projects.  Price is a factor, because I have to be budget conscience when choosing yarn.

ETA: Plant fibers vs. Animal fibers vs. Man-made fibers vs. a blended fiber is a choice as unique to yarn crafters as those fibers are to fabric crafters. 

My absolute favorite fiber to crochet with is linen.  If all fiber were priced the same, I would probably always use linen (alas, it is comparatively expensive).  What i look for as being somewhat less expensive are linen blends, and I have loved several that incorporate rayon with linen.  So I guess , in the real world, rayon/linen blends are my  ideal fiber.  

I have no idea if any fiber is in short supply.

I think the fiber in highest demand is acrylic.  

My absolute favorite fiber to crochet with is linen.  If all fiber were priced the same, I would probably always use linen (alas, it is comparatively expensive).  What i look for as being somewhat less expensive are linen blends, and I have loved several that incorporate rayon with linen.  So I guess , in the real world, rayon/linen blends are my  ideal fiber.  

I have no idea if any fiber is in short supply.

I think the fiber in highest demand is acrylic.  

I never tried linen yarn.  TY for the heads up!  :)

• 3 weeks later...

My absolute favorite for crocheting is chenille yarn.

I think the area that has been growing the most, so I guess would have the highest demand, is cotton yarns. Most recently it is cotton blends of all kinds.

I don't know of any shortages.

Archived