Birdie Scraps

I've been using a lot of cotton yarn lately for little gifts for my grt-grandchildren. Since some birds around here nest every few months, I decided to make another Birdie Scrap Holder to hang in the back yard. Works great with a suet basket.

post-17452-0-32992300-1439071818_thumb.jpg

I'll bet a suet basket does work great!

Here there is a privacy screen of cedar shrubs between this house and a neighbor. They have been around so long, they are becoming trees. I drape my yarn scraps on these bushes, and the birds do take most of them.

I'll bet a suet basket does work great!

Here there is a privacy screen of cedar shrubs between this house and a neighbor. They have been around so long, they are becoming trees. I drape my yarn scraps on these bushes, and the birds do take most of them.

LOL- I've tried that too, but, it is so windy here sometimes, the wind got more than the birds!

I've even seen the Hummingbirds nesting in the Italian Cypress trees right next to the basket pick pieces out. I'd love to get a photo of that!

• 3 weeks later...

I've done that before too! I also found a pattern last year to make a sort of basket weave a large holes to hold the yarn scraps. I hung it from my tree at my townhouse but a couple weeks later the yard people came and trimmed all trees and took the branch that was holding it down :-(

I've done that before too! I also found a pattern last year to make a sort of basket weave a large holes to hold the yarn scraps. I hung it from my tree at my townhouse but a couple weeks later the yard people came and trimmed all trees and took the branch that was holding it down :-(

Awe that's disappointing. Can you make another and hang it on a wire outside a window or on a patio? It's so interesting watching the birds take the pieces out. They are so picky choosing the pieces for their little nests. I wonder if they have color preferences! LOL

Archived