opinions on a color

mom2crfm

Question

I would love to have your opinions on a color to use. (and I apologize in advance for the blurry picture. Could not get my camera to flash and everything is blurry tonight.)

I got all these pieces along with other craft items from my grandmother's public sale. I want to put them all together (still working on how) and make one blanket out of them. Not sure if I want to keep it or give it to my mother (on the condition I get it back later.  ;)  )

What color yarn should I use to do my connecting stitches. I want it to be something that will coordinate but not be anything that is used in any of the pieces all ready so that her work is able to be determined from mine. Because there are different stitches and odd shaped pieces and a couple chevron pieces, I'll have to add a bit more than just a quick boarder around each piece to some of them to make them able to fit together.

There are different shades of white and some pale yellow so I'm thinking I probably need something dark (not brown, as it was used) as my color. What do you think?

EDITED to add photos that were not blurry after I figured out what was wrong with my camera

post-73084-0-42773600-1438834890_thumb.jpg

post-73084-0-24133000-1438834896_thumb.jpg

post-73084-0-90107300-1438834901_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

I folded things together. There are 2 red pieces plus a red granny square. And two of the verigated red/green squares. Two different odd shaped pale yellow pieces.

I just wanted to try to show the colors in the picture.

How neat to find and be able to make into something. I always like black because it goes with all and makes the color pieces 'pop' but it is harder on the eyes to work with.

My first thought was black too, because that is sort of traditional for piecing together granny squares, but I see there are a couple of black pieces already.

There's only 1 blue thing...what about a different shade of blue?  

There are also a lot of warm reds, maybe something in the orange family but different from what's there, like terra cotta (dark brownish orangish red) maybe?

Is there a color you associate with your Grandmother wearing a lot, or in her house decor, but isn't in these squares?

That is such a sweet labor of love!  :manyheart

I think I would start with red for a center square and incorporate as many pieces not red, like the white and black.  When you have a square with those in, then change to black and incorporate the red pieces.  When you have gotten your square big enough to cover those, go to white for the multi-colors.  Hope this is clear enough to explain what I see in my mind.  Although, I have discovered things don't always come out the way I picture them.  I love the idea of using your grandmother's pieces.

Thank you all for your opinions. Sorry I didn't get back here sooner. It has been a crazy week.

Granny Square - there actually is not black in the pieces. Thereare a couple different shades of brown. It does look like black on the brown carpet. I didn't notice that before.

I like black too, except to work with it too much. I have bagged up the pieces again, but will need to get some yarn and get started. The more I think about it, the more I want to find a way to put this together and give it to my mom for Christmas (again, with the condition that it comes back to me if/when she is ever ready to get rid of it and that it is willed to me)

Archived