Does Anyone Use The "Magic Knot" Method?

AuntJu

Question

Hi Everyone! 

I have just learned about making a "magic knot" to join ends and not have any tails to weave in. I've seen a few comments from people in different places that they swear by it and that the knots have never come undone after use and washings. I am curious if anyone here uses this method and if so, what are the pros and cons? I am just starting a scrap ripple for my sister and I would like to use this method, but I am a little nervous about doing so. 

All comments are appreciated! 

Thank You! 

Julia 

11 answers to this question

I would be nervous about it coming apart - It may work great but I have never used it.  After all, weavers use weavers knots...

I use the below for joining, it's trickier but not impossible if you are using to join 2 colors in a specific spot.  I like braided better, it's a little more invisible:

Braided Join (1 color, 2 colors) - I do the 1 color slightly differently, I leave a longer overlap of the new yarn and braid it in the other direction.

Russian Join (works for 1 or 2 colors)

I wouldn't. I've seen plenty of comments where it has failed. If you cut the ends at the knot and it does fail, you have no way to repair the hole.

Some people use the knot but leave long ends to weave in which seems better to me. But i think any kind of knot is likely to be noticeable as a lump in the fabric.

Thank You All! I guess I'm not going to use it. I'd hate to have it fall apart and not be able to fix it. 

I tested it out with some of the yarn that I have lying around in my bag, and I don't see any reason not to use it. I yanked on it hard, almost a dozen times, and it didn't come loose. As a final test I pulled as hard as I could on both ends until it snapped. The yarn, that is. The knot stayed intact. I did this several times, with the same result each time. The knot stayed intact, it was the yarn that failed. I used Lion Brand yarn, the one pound skein.

My friend and I came to the conclusion that if you used it and it came undone, you either tied it wrong or the person you gave it to is far too rough on their crocheted items.

As to the visibility of the knot, it really isn't that bad. If it is in the middle of a row, you would have to be very observant to notice.

I wouldn't use this with cotton or silk though, not enough grip in the fibers. Or a three weight yarn. But this is perfect for a four weight acrylic like Red Heart Super Saver. Not Caron Simply Soft, though. That stuff falls apart if you look at it crossly.

I don't know what this knot is, but it sounds interesting. I use a tight square knot and have never had a lump. I leave about 2" ends and work over them so I don't have to weave them in later. My mom (she knits) uses the Russian join and hasn't had any problems, but I never got the hang of it. Someone here said they use a surgeons knot which sounds like it would hold forever. I think this was discussed in another thread. If you search for "Do You Tie Knots" (I think) you might get some more ideas.

Ellie 13

When joining the same color I use the double knot if that's what you are talking about.  Have used this for about 5yrs now on my prayer shawls and so have the other ladies in my church group and we have not had one come undone yet so holds very good for us.  If you mean something else then sorry.  Mary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nq_7EXTWHE

Archived