What do you guys think of this row counter app?

Hey guys,

a few days a friend of mine asked me for a favor. She wanted a really, REALLY simple row counter app for her iPhone. Just add and subtract rows. Nothing more. And she wanted it to look neat. 8a80c6485cd926be453217d59a84a888.gif

I thought about it an made one. Now I'm curious how you experts think about it.

As a gift, I'm giving it away for free on launch day. :)

Here's all the info:
http://knittt-app.com

I really appreciate your opinion.

All the best from Germany
Christian
(Didn't crochet since elementary school)

I viewed your link and it sounds like a very usable app. However, I do not use an iPhone so, it's not an app I can use. I would add, to make it even handier, add another small feature to include a stitch counter. Thanks for sharing.

You have to count every stitch, especially when you're doing a repeating pattern, like a ripple, or a simple pattern, like the same stitch across.  If you don't count the stitches, then you're more likely to be off and your fabric will either grow or shrink in width.  Counting stitches is just as important, if not more important, than counting rows.

It's true that counting stitches is essential in crochet (or knitting), but I think it would be complicated to try to program that.

Would you expect to make a stitch, push a button on the counter, repeat?  eek!

I could sort of see when a pattern says "do (some complicated string of stitches) x times", that you would want to keep track of how many repeats you've made, though...

I have a suspicion that knitters have more need of a row counter than crocheters.  Knitting is harder (than crochet) to recover after ripping out for some patterns, and harder to figure out what row you are on of a complex row repeat like lace--more so than for crochet (in my opinion).

I've never used a counter tool for either craft -- I guess I end up using stitch markers to take their place.  Only once in a blue moon have I had to resort to pencil and paper ||||/  ||||/

I do indeed count stitches and yes, it does get annoying, but, better than having to rip out and start over. As it stands, I/we use stitch markers every certain amount of stitches to count very long rows. After reading the two previous reply posts, I have to agree about probably not using a stitch counter, only a row counter.

Now if you were writing up a golf stroke counter app, that would be great for beginner golfers that have trouble keeping track of their strokes! It would work great on these new wristwatch style cells.

Archived