creativeK

Trouble getting motivated

I'm having trouble getting motivated to finish this baby blanket I've been working on for months.

The funny thing is I've finished other projects(scarves,hats,and amigurumi )in that same time. Why can't I finish this darn blanket? it's a simple V-stitch

any tips?ideas? anyone ever been in a similar boat?

• Like 1

Sounds like you have 'oh, shiny!' syndrome, where you get distracted by fun looking patterns ;)

Maybe just make a pact with yourself, no more new projects till the blanket is done?  Or, each time you grab your hook, give yourself the reward of working on 'something else'  after working 2 rows on that blanket beforehand?

I'm not sure I'm the best one to give advice because I'm a serial crafter, I very rarely have more than 1 project going at a time.

• Like 1

I've been there, CreativeK--as have many others here on the "Ville!  That's why I always have several projects going at once!  I think Granny Square's idea of working at least 2 rows, then going to something else, is right on!  Sometimes, after you get back in the swing of things, you'll go on and do more than 2 rows!  Just don't work on it until you "can't stand it anymore!"  Happy crocheting!

Edited by Avon Lady
  • Like 1

Do you relax to watch TV?  If yes, put the hook and blanket in your hand whenever you sit down to watch.  Eventually, you'll start crocheting.  Just remember that every stitch you make is one stitch closer to being finished!  :)

• Like 1

It happens to the best. Repetition can certainly get to some. I too am currently working on a V-st throw but for some reason I'm very much enjoying this one. One saving grace is the pattern changes colors every 4 rows and 5th row. I am one that cannot just sit and watch TV, crochet is always in my hands if it's on. During the day I may listen to music or on a rare occasion listen to an audio book- classic fiction or even poetry if I can find it.

Sometimes if a repetitious pattern gets to me, I'll set it aside every few rows (as suggestion in a previous post) and crochet a few rows on dishcloths I keep stashed for gifts. Scarves work well also to break up the monotony. Maybe there is one other small project that goes quickly to keep you motivated. Just don't do the same stitch! LOL

I've had projects like that. I make deals with myself. Something like, I can work on anything else on certain days but I have to work on that project on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

• Like 1

Sometimes doing just one row each evening is a way to finish a project you've grown to dislike or have no interest in anymore. Keep the project out and easy to pick up to work on. Do just one row. Just one row is fast and easy and not too boring.

Let's say you know you have 28 rows to go. Well, you'll be done in under a month. That's good for a project you couldn't make yourself touch.

Working on a constant repetitive pattern definitely makes me "yawn" after a while.  I usually have a stash of small balls of crochet thread in a big plastic pretzel jar nearby my chair.  When my "cro-jo" (love that term) departs the building I turn to smaller projects that take a bit of thinking but can be finished quickly.  I use the flowers to put on greeting cards or as tea cup doilies or to attach to denim jackets to look "pretty".   

Working on a constant repetitive pattern definitely makes me "yawn" after a while.  I usually have a stash of small balls of crochet thread in a big plastic pretzel jar nearby my chair.  When my "cro-jo" (love that term) departs the building I turn to smaller projects that take a bit of thinking but can be finished quickly.  I use the flowers to put on greeting cards or as tea cup doilies or to attach to denim jackets to look "pretty".   

The idea for crochet flowers for cards is sweet. Love all the suggestions that come from this Forum.

I hope creativeK's Cro-jo came back!

Edited by ReniC

I find I get more done if I have a couple different projects at the same time. It breaks the monotony of dealing with one large project that gets mundane and repetitive.

I am currently suffering from the end weaving blues. I always say I'll tuck as I go along, and I never do. Now I have roughly 75 still to go out of maybe 200. I bought the yarn for my next project, I even ordered a set of long extended afghan hooks, I'm ready to go, but I won't let myself start my shiny new project until the ends are tucked on my son's afghan. To break up the monotony a bit, I am weaving by color, first all white, then green, etc. However I've been on crochetville all day avoiding this dangly chore.

• Like 1

GotJowls, on 04 Jan 2016 - 11:19 AM, said:

I am currently suffering from the end weaving blues. I always say I'll tuck as I go along, and I never do. Now I have roughly 75 still to go out of maybe 200. I bought the yarn for my next project, I even ordered a set of long extended afghan hooks, I'm ready to go, but I won't let myself start my shiny new project until the ends are tucked on my son's afghan. To break up the monotony a bit, I am weaving by color, first all white, then green, etc. However I've been on crochetville all day avoiding this dangly chore.

I'm jumping up and down cheering you on to get the end weaving completed and moving on! Can't wait to see a pic in the Show and Tell folder.  :sheepjump  :sheepjump  :sheepjump   :cheer :clap  :cheer  :cheer  :clap  

(Actually, I'm clapping my hands cuz I'm too old to jump up and down) :lol

• Like 2

If you ever find a way to make end weaving something other than the dreaded end of project chore, please let us know!  (I've started teaching my 6 yo granddaughter how to weave in the ends, because she thinks it's fun!  However, after she leaves, I have to pull them out and do them so that they don't show.  LOL)

Reni:  I'll clap and cheer with you!  I can't jump up and down anymore, either!  LOL

I do tend to weave ends as I go anymore because I despise doing it all at once. I like it so much better. I understand letting them go till the end though, it's so much easier until the project is complete and all those ends are waving around! LOL I went through a slump during the summer, but I think I am back on track again.

I only got 32 done tonight, hopefully I'll finish tomorrow :-( the pile of clipped ends looked like so much more, I was disheartened by the count.

I have a family member who always offers to help, but they are a wonderful crocheter, then weave ends by literally wrapping around a stitch like 20 times and the pulling thru maybe 2 nearby stitches. Leaving an unsightly lump that unravels in the first wash. I try to refuse politely but they keep offering. I'm a real stickler for perfection and uniformity. If I'm gonna do it, it's gonna be right, from start to finish, to the best of my abilities.

Tribble79, on 04 Jan 2016 - 7:54 PM, said:

I do tend to weave ends as I go anymore because I despise doing it all at once. I like it so much better. I understand letting them go till the end though, it's so much easier until the project is complete and all those ends are waving around! LOL I went through a slump during the summer, but I think I am back on track again.

Good for you Tribble79! Glad your getting back on track.

• Like 1

GotJowls, on 04 Jan 2016 - 8:41 PM, said:

I only got 32 done tonight, hopefully I'll finish tomorrow :-( the pile of clipped ends looked like so much more, I was disheartened by the count.

I have a family member who always offers to help, but they are a wonderful crocheter, then weave ends by literally wrapping around a stitch like 20 times and the pulling thru maybe 2 nearby stitches. Leaving an unsightly lump that unravels in the first wash. I try to refuse politely but they keep offering. I'm a real stickler for perfection and uniformity. If I'm gonna do it, it's gonna beght, from start to finish, to the best of my abilities.

Well that's a different concept how to weave in ends I've not heard of before. I wouldn't like the "bumpies" either and would probably do just like you and re-do the ends.

Tomorrow's another day- and we're still cheering you on. The completion will have such satisfaction. Then the new project can begin so keep going!

Edited by ReniC

redrosesdz, on 04 Jan 2016 - 2:47 PM, said:

If you ever find a way to make end weaving something other than the dreaded end of project chore, please let us know!  (I've started teaching my 6 yo granddaughter how to weave in the ends, because she thinks it's fun!  However, after she leaves, I have to pull them out and do them so that they don't show.  LOL)

Reni:  I'll clap and cheer with you!  I can't jump up and down anymore, either!  LOL

Hahaha! Glad I'm not alone on this. The more the better.

Go GotJowls-Go-Go-Go! Weave'm in, Weave'm in- Waaaaay In!

(Man-oh-man- I can not figure out why I can't include more than one quote to a post- Grrrr)

• Like 1

I have a family member who always offers to help, but they are a wonderful crocheter, then weave ends by literally wrapping around a stitch like 20 times and the pulling thru maybe 2 nearby stitches. Leaving an unsightly lump that unravels in the first wash. I try to refuse politely but they keep offering. I'm a real stickler for perfection and uniformity. If I'm gonna do it, it's gonna be right, from start to finish, to the best of my abilities.

32 is almost half of them!  That's quite a bit!! 

I'm with you on the weaving ends.  They've got to be both secure and invisible or I'm not happy.  Why spend all that time creating something only to have it unravel or have ugly spots in the end?  If I'm using washable yarn, I always wash it before giving it away.  For hand wash yarn, I'm pretty vigorous with it in the sink.  After it's dry, I recheck for any ends that have come loose.  Over time, the number of ends that I have to redo has gone from a LOT of them to 1 or 2 and most often none.  It's a PITA to weave them in right the first time, but well worth the effort in the long run.  (Side note... my tails have changed from pretty short to a lot longer, too) 

Well I finished, and I went over it for any peeking out. Tomorrow I have to get a new iron, I seem to have lost mine in the move. I'll give it a good wash, and spot steam any parts left curling around the edges.

• Like 1

Hihi, I get that feeling, where you can't wait to get your project finished, and then when it finally is, you are like: whoohoo! That was fun, let's make another one! I keep falling for it with big projects like afghans. I hate them when I'm working on them, but it's so amazing to crochet a blanket!

I figure for the time being I can work on small projects.

I fell out of crocheting for a couple months,so I'm just now starting back,thanks for the replies guys!