Konnichiwa from Japan

MamaGerbs

OK, so I'm in Ohio at the moment, but currently live in Japan. I stumbled upon this community while poking around online, searching for patterns to go with some beautiful project pictures I've seen. I'm sort of new and old to crochet - that is, I tried it a bit when I was younger, but didn't pick it up again until recently - at a writers' retreat of all places. Everyone had a project except me, so I borrowed a hook and bought some yarn and rediscovered the therapy that is crochet.

Happy to find a home to share the love, and I'm eager to learn from you all. I truly am a novice, but I'm figuring it out as I go along. I'm also hoping someone might be able to teach me the tricks to finding patterns to purchase (reverse image search on google has worked for a few items, but no luck with two of my favorites.) Are there other strategies I might try?

Arigato!

welcome to the ville!

I think that the odds of finding patterns to purchase depends a lot on the source of the original image.  There are tons of things posted on pinterest for example that can't be traced back to a legitimate source to buy the pattern.  Sometimes the photos are of retail garments so there is no pattern for making it yourself, or they are one of a kind projects.

If you are certain the things you are interested in do or did have patterns, you might try looking in the pattern database on Ravelry.com

By the way you probably already know that Japan is a source for many gorgeous books of diagrammed patterns.....I love Japanese patterns and have purchased a few over the years.   

Hello from Mississippi! It can be very frustrating to try to find a pattern for something you have seen. I try to start with ravelry or craftsy or etsy and browse what is available. A lot of the projects shown here on crochetville will have the pattern source listed, so you might browse through the show and tell section--there's also a pattern tab.

Thanks for the welcomes!  I like it here already.  :)

Also, thanks for the database suggestions. I'll poke around and see what I can find. (And probably get distracted by other great projects along the way...)

Welcome to the 'Ville!  I'm sure you'll enjoy it here!  There are also TONS of free patterns on the net, so you can always search those out!  We have a lot of free patterns on the 'Ville!  www.crochetpatternscentral.com is also a good source.  

Happy crocheting!  :hook

Thanks, Holly and Collette. Nice to meet you.

I actually found information for one of the patterns I was looking for - the photo was of star ornaments that were sold at Ikea a few years back. So I'll just have to be on the look out for similar patterns if I want to make my own, and I will start at that crochetpatternscentral. I found a link for the other that lead to ravelry, but the link is now dead. I hope to find the pattern in their archives.

My problem is that my searches keep getting waylaid by all the other patterns I'm finding to add to my list of wanna-do projects!  :P  

(I can think of worse challenges, though...)  :)

• 6 months later...

We were stationed in Japan ( Yokohama and Yokosuka)

enjoyed the experience except for the earthquakes

My son is at ASIJ and we play the base schools in sports. We're getting to know Yokosuka naval base quite well. : )

I haven't been in a huge earthquake--we were gone in 2011. The smaller ones I think are kind of cool. It's interesting how they can be different... some shaking side to side, some kind of rolling, some like a big jolt. I don't want to experience anything stronger than that!

We really enjoyed the students we had. My kids learned so much.

It's a great experience for the whole family. We hosted several exchange students before we moved here. I think it helped the kids to understand cultural differences, which may have made the transition easier. That's my theory anyway!

Welcome!  

Here are a bunch of star ornaments, not all are free (click the 'free' box at the left to filter, you can also filter on other things like yarn weight, if you just want to see thread items for example)

Thank you for the link! I appreciate it.

Archived