ratdog

Practicing on small items

I am trying to develop thread skills. I made this handkerchief edging. Just a simple shell stitch.

post-23494-0-14639400-1437348123_thumb.jpg

post-23494-0-60242600-1437348153_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

They look great.  Before you know it, you will also be making doilies and ornaments and ami's in thread.

• Like 1

Beautiful work.  I find it is always easier to practice small.  I also like something I'll use later.

So elegant and you did a fine job.

I came across 3 handkerchiefs with crochet borders stashed in a drawer that I inherited from my husband's grandmother and they are so beautiful and delicate. Probably a size 20 thread. I too like to practice on fabric with thread. One of my favorites is on pillowcase edges. There are so many stitch patterns to choose from- it's endless.

Keep up the great work.

Ihave some pillow shams and a dresser scarf that my grandmother made probably 80 years ago (or older). I hope to make pieces like she did that will last as long.

You are way ahead of me. At least your thread work is recognizable as crochet!

I've crocheted over 30 years, but when it comes to thread, I'm all thumbs. I once attempted to make a snowflake. Ha! It was hideous! It twisted and turned. The chains were too large and too tight. I gave up.

Lately I began to practice again, with #3 thread and an E hook, doing one long chain. I'm just working on even stitches. I figure I'll get it eventually. It's hard to believe I'm so bad with this when I'm great with worsted weight cotton.

My best girlfriend thinks it's hilarious because she tats and uses all kinds of very thin thread, #40 and even #100. She says #10 is like rope to her, so she can't figure out why I'd have any problems. On the other hand, she can't work with worsted weight, bulky, or super bulky yarns, which I love.

If I can get the hang of thread work, I'd love to make pillowcase edgings. My grandmother made them for me (and my sisters) for 40 years, and I've been telling myself I really need to learn this.

I'm glad I looked at your work. It's inspiring me to keep practicing!

• Like 1