Pattern Translation Help!

Gabby Weber

Question

**Note**

I play World of Warcraft (I'm a geek I know)

Anyways, I promised a guild member of mine that I would make him a Draenei Female doll, based off of his main character. The beautiful Pandora doll I found on Ravelry, is exactly what I want.... One slight problem.... When you initially translate the page itself, it doesn't make any sense. Also when you translate it on Google, it makes a little more sense but still... On the Ravelry page she offers Spanish to English abbreviations, when you go to decipher the pattern, again, doesn't make sense. Could some one who speaks Spanish and English please help me?? I promised him a week ago that I would make him a doll and I have only like-four days left (I can crochet fast so I'm ok on that part lol)

Sorry for the rambeling, here's the initial pattern's page:

http://irkachan.blogspot.com/2011/07/pandora-patron-gratis.html

3 answers to this question

Hi and welcome to the ville!

I am not sure that anyone here can do this for you without violating the site guidelines; you can read more about those under the Town Hall forum section.

There is a group on Ravelry called Excuse Me (i think) that helps with different languages so you might look there for some ideas.  

We love to help members who are having problems with patterns. Unfortunately, there are some times when we really aren't able to help very much.

Unfortunately, unauthorized translations of patterns are considered copyright infringement. Yes, this even applies to free patterns; copyright law treats them no differently than for-sale patterns. Unless we have explicit written permission from the pattern designer/publisher, we cannot allow translations to be posted here on our site nor we can we allow links to unauthorized translations to be posted here.

I'm really sorry about that, because it can make it pretty impossible to help people. As Kathy said, your best bet is to find somebody who can help you with the translation privately.

Since crochet language and terminology is so unique, the results from Google and other translation tools often don't make very much sense.

Again, I'm really sorry we can't be of more help. I had to remove the links to the translations from the original post.

She probably already found her answer by now considering how old this is- but just in case someone else wants translation of crochet terms:

ENGLISH (U.S) SPANISH ITALIAN FRENCH GERMAN POLISH crochet hook ganchillo uncinetto crochet Häkelnadel szydelko to crochet tejer lavorare all' uncinetto faire du crochet häkeln szydelkowac ch (chain) cadaneta catenella chainette Luftmasche robic scieg lancuszkowy sc (single crochet) punto bajo punto basso maille serrée feste Masche oczko scisle dc (double crochet) punto alto punto alto bride Stäbchen slupek hdc (half double crochet) medio punto alto mezzo punto alto demi bride halbes Stäbchen polslupek tr (treble crochet) punto alto doble punto alto doppio double bride doppeltes Stäbchen, Doppelstäbchen slupek podwojny sl st (slip stitch) cadeneta punto bassissimo (or mezzo punto basso) petite maille Kettenmasche oczko scisle zamykajace repeat repetir rifetere serrée wiederholen powtórzyc od lp (loop) hebilla nodo boucle Schlinge petla inc (increase) aumentar aumentare augmenter zunehmen dodac

dec (decrease) menguar diminuire diminuer abnehmen ujac(odjac) yo (yarn over hook or yarn around hook) crecido o basta a lanzada filo sull'uncinetto tourner jeter le fil Umschlag narzucic welne(nitke) na szydelko sk (skip) rematar saltare passer überspringen,übergehen przeskoczyc picot pico picot picot Pikot pikotka edge borde orlo bordure Rand brzeg ring anillo anello rond, cercle Runde kolko st (stitch) punto punto maille Masche scieg row vuelta riga rang Reihe rzad join into ring unir formando anillo unire ad anello former un rond in den Ring polaczyc w kolo* next próximo prossimo suivant nächste nastepny last último ultimo précédent letzte ostatni**

From French to English and et cet

here is Tricotin site link with great results

http://www.tricotin.com/fr/dictionnaire-anglais-francais-de-termes-de-crochet

I use it often, there are many patterns in other languages, if you want free patterns, in French called Modeles, so click on there and there will be many patterns, some for sale some free. I would never "buy" or pay money for crochet pattern. They should all be free, really, since Crochet is so simple, no reason to charge money. I make many of my own patterns and only a beginner. I am not a genius but if you have spare time and crochet you can easily make any pattern if you can increase, decrease, make rounds, et cetera. If you can make a "ball" shape like they do with amigurimi stuff you can make any animal. It is not Rocket Science.

Speaking of selling patterns. I was online lookiing for old doily pattern. I found a website selling "antique doily" and other Antique Patterns. Let me tell you all each every one of these patterns is in Public Domain. I have all those same patterns, from book I downloaded from internet on archive.org. Tons of crochet and knitting books in there. That is, the people copied the exact pattern and printed it or just email you a pattern they got for no cost to them. I think this is dishonest, myself. Maybe they are charging money to people who do not know better.

almost any pattern for anything you want you can find for nothing if you look enough.

Maybe an idea for a person is to copy those same patterns, and add or change one thing to it to make it your "own" if you want to sell them. Anyway

this is old thread. Maybe the terms I posted here will help someone in future. Also the site Tricotin which is "knitting" in french, has many crochet patterns like I said for free or paid. I do not belong to the site nor do I know the people, so this is not an advertisement for them in any way.

Archived