Blocking filet crochet?

Kapia

Hi guys!

I just finished my first filet project (take a look here) and I would like to know if there's a recommended way of blocking this kind of garments and if you have any tips.

Thank you in advance for your help :)

Does it open up flat?  It looks like it might.  

Wash gently by hand and either pin it out, or 'finger block' it - lay it out flat while very damp and push it into place with your hands and fingers.  

Pinning might be better since it has lots of edging detail.  If I were me I'd try the finger blocking first and redampening / pinning if I thought it wasn't enough.

I wouldn't block it solely by ironing it.  It might help to touch up the edges gently with an iron, with a cloth between the iron and the shawl.  I know a lot of people don't bother blocking but just use an iron, but I don't like the smashed look it gives.

All the above is out the window if it isn't all natural fiber, especially the iron.  Finger blocking and pinning works 'a little' with man-made yarn, but not as well as natural fibers.  You could 'kill' it by pinning it out and holding a steam iron a couple of inches above it (not touching, it will melt even if the iron gets too close).  This is tricky to do , and will leave the piece limp and no longer stretchy - which is probably OK for a shawl.  

There's no way you're going to get those edges nice and crisp without pins.  Especially, if you put the beads on it.

I would hand wash it, starch it in hot water and powdered starch if you can find it, pin it out and let dry and then iron to lock the stitches into place.  My grandmother would pull out the doily sets every spring.  We'd have to wash and starch them all.  She loved the oldest ones that were well ironed best because they just hold their shape. 

Hi, thank you for your answers. Here you can see my project with more detail. 

Sorry for not giving enough information, I used Cebelia DMC thread size 10.

I'm not sure about starching (never done it before), wouldn't it be too stiff afterwards? I too believe I would have to pin every litte point for it to look great.

post-74573-0-94044600-1434434123_thumb.jpg

post-74573-0-89272000-1434434129_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't starch it. It is not a doily....but then i never starched a doily either.

You can get blocking mats, or kids play mats are the same thing. http://www.joann.com/boye-crochet-dude-blocking-board-with-grids-and-logo/13310198.html?mkwid=nylxYvU2|dt&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+Needle+Arts&CS_003=12310904&CS_010=%5BProductId%5D&gclid=COGgq7O_lMYCFZOCaQod0h8Afw

Then pin out the dangles.

I have never pinned anything this large, but you could use any surface that you can pin into and leave it a day or two to dry completely.

That is beautiful!  It looks like one of Katherine White's patterns.  It will keep its shape with wet blocking to shape, without starch.

Although, I spritz doilies liberally with spray starch when they are dripping wet, gently but thoroughly wring them out and then block.  When they're dry, you can wrinkle them up, but they can be easily tidied back to shape (spray starch doesn't 'break' as some do). The starch just gives the piece a little body.  There are different stiffening products out there, and I think spray starch is the mildest...

For pinning a big thing, you can fold it in half and roll up a washcloth or make a little tube of plastic wrap to put inside the fold so there isn't a crease.  Then, pin the 2 sides together (bonus, both sides match and less pinning).  If you fold it to block, I wouldn't starch it.

I wouldn't starch it. It is not a doily....but then i never starched a doily either.

You can get blocking mats, or kids play mats are the same thing. http://www.joann.com/boye-crochet-dude-blocking-board-with-grids-and-logo/13310198.html?mkwid=nylxYvU2|dt&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping+-+Needle+Arts&CS_003=12310904&CS_010=%5BProductId%5D&gclid=COGgq7O_lMYCFZOCaQod0h8Afw

Then pin out the dangles.

I have never pinned anything this large, but you could use any surface that you can pin into and leave it a day or two to dry completely.

The Crochet Dude's blocking squares are expensive, because you need at least 9 of them to make a decent size and more likely 16 of them for the shawl.  Plus, they have a chemical smell that permeates the yarn.  You have to be careful with kid's play mats, because they are colorful and for some of them the color runs and stains the damp yarn.

I looked into blocking boards and came up with my own solution, which I love using.  At any hardware, flooring, or automotive store (plus Costco, Sam's, Walmart, etc.) they sell interlocking foam flooring to relieve stress.  I bought a 4 pack of 2'x2' squares that were labeled as "water resistant."  The laminate on top of the foam protects the foam from the damp yarn.  I then taped them together to make a 4'x4' blocking board.  Taking them apart causes wear on the interlocking sides.  Unfortunately, the kind I bought started to sag after the first use.  So, I went down to my local hardware store and bought a 4'x4' thin, particle board and attached it to the bottom of my blocking board.  The whole thing cost me $23.

The beauty of it is that the pins slide in and out very easily, yet they hold the project.  I've already pinned something inside, turned the board sideways and carried it outside to dry in the sun.  The sun dried it in a few hours.  I also use it to snap pics.

Wow, your solution sounds great! 

I linked to the CrochetDude one only because it came up quickly. I did notice the price seemed high (!) but was hurrying and just wantd to  illustrate the idea. Too bad it has a smell.  I have read also that people have had problems with some of the hooks sold under that name, it's really too bad the Boye company didn't take more care with the products.   

The only things I have ever pinned out were small and I used a board I bought in the 60s or 70s for macrame.  It is some kind of particleboard about a half inch thick and amazingly it has held up---and I have held on to it lol---all these years.  I have a drying rack my husband made for me that I use for general blocking of the 'lay flat to dry, pat into place' variety.  I think I intentionally avoid making anything big that would need to be pinned out!  :devil

I tested one of Kathy's rose stoles with the scallops across the bottom for my last wedding.  It needed to be starched.  There are different levels of starching from giving a little body and holding the shape to crispy. 

I laid towels out on the floor and pinned it right into the carpet.  It was about 5 1/2 long and more than a foot wide.

Okay, so what I'm going to do is wet-block it as I normally do and possibly starch it a little for it to hold shape.

I also loved this idea. This way we won't have to eat on the floor for two days in my house because I'm using all the table  :lol

For pinning a big thing, you can fold it in half and roll up a washcloth or make a little tube of plastic wrap to put inside the fold so there isn't a crease.  Then, pin the 2 sides together (bonus, both sides match and less pinning).  If you fold it to block, I wouldn't starch it.

I've blocked shawls before but they were made with yarn so I wasn't sure if this was the same. I will come back with the results :)

Thank you all for your crochet wisdom.

Archived