Calculating Neck Opening for a Child

redrosesdz

Question

How do you know if the neck opening in a pullover is large enough when you don't have a child handy to try it on?  I've compared it to clothes the same size, but I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

Currently, my child size poncho's neck opening is 10" across, for a total of 20".  Is that big enough?

4 answers to this question

It seems to me like it would be. If you google for a table of hat sizes, you can see average head measurements. i think 20" is plenty big enough for most kids to be easily able to pull it over their head.

Kids' heads are just about adult size by age 10 or so, 20" is only a fraction of an inch smaller than women's size small.  Plus, yarn stretches a bit ;)

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/size-chart.html

The only thing about comparing it to clothes is that you'd have to pick a pullover, if it buttoned/zipped up, neck openings could be smaller  The other thing that occurred to me is looking for pullover patterns with a schematic (for sanity check), but hat/head size charts are easier to find!!

Thanks for the chart!  I didn't even think about hat size, until Kathy mentioned it above.  I was able to easily fit the opening over my own head after looking at a hat chart last night.  I am comparing it to a t-shirt for the neck opening and length and to a hoodie for the the hood height. 

The poncho part is 1/2 done. I'm in love with the pattern and am using my favorite chenille yarn to make it, so it's going quickly.  If I get it done by Wednesday, my 5 yo granddaughter is coming over and she can try it on for me.  It's for a friend's 4 yo great granddaughter.  Her great granddaughter is tall and thin, just like mine.  I'll post pics when it's done.  I'm hoping to get a pic of the 4 yo wearing it and hoping to get permission to post that pic.  If not, it'll be just the poncho or maybe my granddaughter wearing it.  :)

Archived