Jasmine Watts

Crochet Afghan from Graph/Picture

Question

Hello Everyone,

I am really hoping that someone can help me figure this out. I am trying to make an afghan for my nephew to fit roughly a twin sized bed. I am using the dimensions 70 x 90. I am using the little song/poem from The Big Bang Theory: Soft Kitty.

I have found a formula to go ahead and calculate my stitches and rows: 276 stitches across (not counting turning stitch) and 390 rows.

My pattern is set up in Microsoft Excel and fits the 70 x 90 squares/cells. I am trying to figure out how many stitches each box is.

Any assistance is more than appreciated

Jasmine :)

8 answers to this question

For me - 4 ply worsted weight and an I hook will give me 4 feet across at 175 stitches. 

How long or wide do you plan on making this?

I am planning on making it roughly 5 feet x 7.5 feet...

I have attached a picture of what he wants on his blanket...as you can see I have it in Excel. The squares line up with my 70 x 90 but I cant figure out how to make sure it not only fits the size I want but also make sure I do it properly.

post-75239-0-46435000-1433512933_thumb.jpg

Here's how I would do it...

1. Using the yarn and hook that you plan to use for the afghan, make a swatch ~5"x5".  Measure the 4" in the middle and count the stitches and rows.  This will tell you how many stitches and rows that you need for 4".  Multiply to get the blanket size.
  2. I would make the lettering exactly 70x90 and leave the rest the background color.  I'd also put the lettering in the middle.  To calculate the stitches, take the total, subtract the picture and divide by two.  For example, 276 - 90 = 186 / 2 = 93.  So, a row would be 93 background, 90 graph, 93 background = 276 stitches.  Do the same for the rows.
  3. If I'm unhappy with the final size, add a border.  It'd be cool with the border being the same color as the lettering.

That's just how I would do it.  There are probably other ways.  I prefer simple.

P.S. I love The Big Bang Theory's song, too!

Edited by redrosesdz

Thank you so much to the both of you for your help. @redrosesdz I went ahead and did my rows. I don't know why I was making this so difficult. Now that I have my numbers and know what I am doing, I am off to begin.

Again a really big THANK YOU!

P.S. I am going to try to remember to post a picture when I finish

Edited by Jazzy
  • Like 1

Good luck to you!  If you get stuck on the graph part, there are some wonderful tutorials on youtube.  Just google "intarsia crochet tutorial."  I can't wait to see it finished!!

You gals crack me up!  I read these posts and it is all just like a foreign language to me when you talk numbers!  Kind of scary when I am the one at my job doing payroll! :yes

• Like 1

93 background, 90 graph, 93 background = 276 stitches

Just an observation, and I know you've already worked hard to plot out your text....

I've tried on a few small projects (like a hot pad) to add text, and given up, because it's hard to get a legible font much smaller than the one you are using - your is 7 squares high--to fit.  I would have preferred to have a much larger canvas to work with, as you do with your blanket, to have have had more font options.

Your lettering will fill up less than a ninth of the blanket - using the above math, imagine a grid of 9 blocks, 3 over 3.  Your lettering will be in the middle box, and apparently won't fill it vertically only horizontally.

There are a lot of graphed alphabets on the web that use more squares to form the letters, which will fill up more of the blanket if that is the 'look' you are going for.  One that is 9, 11, 13 or even more squares high would give you a more defined lettering and also fill up more of your blanket.  Just a thought--maybe re-center your text in excel on a 276 x 390 grid to see how it looks.  ( think you'll need something beyond Excel2003 to get more than 256 columns, though, but it's close; you'd have to view it at an awfully tiny % to see it all!).

There are a lot of alphabets here (some are flowery, but many more standard ones too), also plenty to be found by googling.

http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/html/warm/catalog.htm

Another space filler for the vertical is to put a silhouette of a cat or cats above and below your text.