graph/chart from a picture......stitch

melindascrochetbits

Question

I am wanting to crochet myself a rug for my kitchen but am having a very hard time trying to figure out how to make a graph/ chart from a picture.

I have already figured out the chart size I need. The only problem is I don't have a clue as to how to resize the picture so that it will fit inside my grid/chart.

I will only be using 2 colors because I haven't done anything like this in years and am out of practice.

I want to use sc but not sure if I would repeat rows ( ex. would I crochet row 1 twice, front and back, or just once?)

I hope this makes sense. If not, just ask and I will gladly reply.

If there is anyone out there willing to help me, your help and time is very appreciated!

4 answers to this question

Normally it's one sc per grid.

If you use a program like Tampa Doll suggested, choose the crochet grid (knit grids aren't square, you will end up with a squished pic).  This program lets you choose from a few grid sizes.

To enlarge your picture (I think that's what you are asking), don't substitute 4 stitches for 1 to make a larger square - this will make the pic unrecognizable, too pixilated.  Change the picture size with a drawing program (like Paint).  You may need to run it thru the drawing program and graphing program a few times, with different size source files and grid selections to get it where you want it.  Example, you may end up making a file of your pic with a lot of white space around it, and use a large grid output and just use the grids in the center.

You will also need to do some touch-up, example if your pic is black and white, the grid program will make grey squares at the edges - you will need to decide if you want them black or white.

Archived