Hairpin Lace Tutorial Link & Tips

redrosesdz

I'm a hairpin lace beginner.  I've made 1 shawl and am working on my 2nd one.  However, when I posted the pics of my first hairpin lace shawl, a few replies expressed an interest in learning hairpin lace.  So, here is where I learned and some tips that helped me....

First, the best thing about hairpin lace is that it looks difficult, but is very simple to do!  It's basically wrap, sc, repeat.  Don't we all love those things that are quick, but get oohs and ahs? 

OK, so I bought a cheap loom, got some yarn and my trusty crochet hook.  Now what?  I read the instructions and fumbled terribly.  I needed a tutorial badly!  Check out Stitch Diva's Hairpin Lace Tutorial.  In the first link, is a video.  I had to watch it a few times to get it right.  Once I got the first 2 stitches right, the rest was zen like! 

Stitch Diva has a bunch of tips, too.  I can't copy any of their tips, but I can give you mine...

• Choose yarn that doesn't split easily.  Also, choose yarn that isn't super stretchy.
  • The first 2 stitches are the most difficult, because you want them in the middle of the loom.  I start over if they aren't in the middle.  Don't let the first 2 stitches discourage you!
  • Leave the normal size tail at the beginning and end for  weaving in the ends.
  • After a few stitches, lightly wrap the first tail around the loop on the right when you have an even number of stitches on both sides of the loom.  This saves you from having to count both sides to get an even number.  (You'll unwrap it at the end for weaving.)
  • Some patterns count the total number of loops and some count the number of loops on one side.  So, 100 loops can mean 50 loops on each side or 100 on each side.  If the pattern doesn't tell you, the standard is total loops (1/2 of the number.)  However, if it looks shorter than the pattern by half, they really mean the number of loops on each side.
  • Counting loops is a pain!  I put a stitch marker after each group.  My first shawl's pattern called for 176 loops on each side.  So, I marked every 50th loop.  That way I didn't have to recount from the beginning.  When I got to the very end, I did one last count from the beginning.  Note: put the marker on the loop, not the loom, so it doesn't slip down.
  • Most important tip: Before you take the loops off of the loom, insert a guide yarn (contrasting color) on each side.  Use a bent yarn needle and guide it close to the loom's metal rod.  Make sure that the guide yarn is in between every loop!  Don't take the guide yarn out, until you've crocheted each loop into your pattern.
  • After your loops are off the loom, you'll do normal crocheting with them.  When you pick up loops with your hook, make sure that you pick them up in order and don't twist them.  This is where that guide yarn helps.
  • Show off your work and enjoy those oohs and ahs!

Archived