FREE Patterns Query

CrochetAddict85

I'm wanting to know, I'm wanting to talk about FREE patterns I find on the net on my blog, ie share them with others, are you allowed to use a photo for that project if say you haven't done it yourself but would like to try and link it back to the relevant person/blog etc?

Thank you but can I use them to chat about on my blog and link them back to the relevant person?

You are not allowed to use pictures without permission and you can only post a link, description, or discussion about the pattern you can't post the pattern without permission. People sometimes do it but they risk being nailed for copyright infringement.

Hope that answers your question.

You are not allowed to use pictures without permission and you can only post a link, description, or discussion about the pattern you can't post the pattern without permission. People sometimes do it but they risk being nailed for copyright infringement.

Hope that answers your question.

It does, Now I can understand how I can go about doing so, so I appreciate it!

People are sometimes willing to allow you use of the picture in return for the publicity.  It can draw more attention to their pattern and help them gain more attention as a designer, blogger, writer, etc.  The key is we are supposed to ask.  The person has a right to say yes/no.  With the snag and grab mentality it is harder for people to keep control of the images they've created, however it still doesn't make it right when someone grabs the picture and posts it on their blog for their own use.  I've found people have grabbed images of stuff I've made and posted it elsewhere because they wanted the traffic it would generate without doing the work involved in creating the product.  I wasn't asked and I wasn't pleased.  However, in this current mentality of posting everything people see, it is getting harder to control.  Many don't seem to even understand why grabbing an image they don't own without permission and using it for their own benefit is stealing.

People are sometimes willing to allow you use of the picture in return for the publicity.  It can draw more attention to their pattern and help them gain more attention as a designer, blogger, writer, etc.  The key is we are supposed to ask.  The person has a right to say yes/no.  With the snag and grab mentality it is harder for people to keep control of the images they've created, however it still doesn't make it right when someone grabs the picture and posts it on their blog for their own use.  I've found people have grabbed images of stuff I've made and posted it elsewhere because they wanted the traffic it would generate without doing the work involved in creating the product.  I wasn't asked and I wasn't pleased.  However, in this current mentality of posting everything people see, it is getting harder to control.  Many don't seem to even understand why grabbing an image they don't own without permission and using it for their own benefit is stealing.

That I can understand with hun! That's why I was thinking of asking the original creator first and then using it if allowed, also thought I'd ask other people's opinions on here too

Archived