Favorite Way to Join Granny Squares

I'm currently working on joining mini granny squares via the ladder stitch and am getting so weary of it, but I want the afghan to be reversible.  That got me thinking ...

What is your favorite (or least favorite) way to join granny squares?

Favorite: slip stitch

Dreaded: ladder stitch

'As you go' : in the spaces between the 3-DC blocks, ch-1, slst into the matching spot in the next square, ch-1, continue working on the original square.  There's all sorts of variations of this theme, like where the last round is chain loops and you join the loops like this, etc.

Ladder stitch=mattress stitch (sewing)?  Yeah, it's one thing to sew sleeves in but not so much for squares.

'As you go' : in the spaces between the 3-DC blocks, ch-1, slst into the matching spot in the next square, ch-1, continue working on the original square.  There's all sorts of variations of this theme, like where the last round is chain loops and you join the loops like this, etc.

Ladder stitch=mattress stitch (sewing)?  Yeah, it's one thing to sew sleeves in but not so much for squares.

What if the squares are already finished?  I've got 18x18 mini squares (324) to put together.  :( 

I think that the terms ladder stitch and mattress stitch are interchangeable. 

Yikes.

Well, to J.A.Y.G. you'd have to add a last round to all of them, daunting.

If you hadn't already started sewing them, I'd suggest slip stitching them assembly line fashion (downside, that leaves a little seam on the backside).  Slip stitch all the columns, then slip stitch across in rows.

Edit, heh I should have know that was you posting when I was typing, Magic! :hi

I don't like doing granny squares, because of the joins.  I've never joined as you go, but if I ever do another one, I'm definitely trying it!  I usually do a slip stitch.  This is my first time doing the mattress stitch and it's a royal PITA.  I've done less than one column in 2 hours.  LOL  I might forgo the desire to have it reversible to save my sanity!  It's the amish star afghan changed into an 8 point star, so making it reversible would look pretty cool.  I just got home from buying a bent yarn needle.  I'm hoping that helps.

That's gonna be very pretty, all the hard work will be worth it I'm sure!

But with the color changes, whipstitching or join as you go may not give you the crisp look of a clean line between colors.  The other thing about JAYG is that it does add texture because the sts are going over each other, and tht may not be the look you want.  I find JAYG to be best for fairly open motifs where things can be more drapy and flexible.  for solid motifs like this I think JAYG sometimes doesn't have enough breathing room and can be bunchy.  But of course like everything else it depends on yarn and personal gauge, the exact pattern etc etc.  But one JAYG I like because the texture is pretty and can be a positive addition to, rather than a distraction from, the ovrall pattern, is Flat Braid  http://priscillascrochet.net/freepatterns.html  link on that page under Afghan Edging and Joins.  And for the corners, the method of Chris Simon http://yarncrazy.blogspot.com/2009/05/afghan-joining-hints.html

Sorry about my typos here, one was pretty funny tho---I typed Flat BraiN at first   :faint

well, depends on the ghan, lol, I have done a lot of different joins for different ghans, including the chain join, looks like x and is light and lacey, and I have sc them together, ridge on the right or the back side, both ways, i don't use slip stc, as that tends to pull it too tight for my taste, but on the whole, I whip stitch, the mattress stitch, left in my opinion, muct too bumped up of a ridge on the back, but that is just me, lol....either way, we get um together, don't we ladies, one way or the other!!!!!!

I'm saving that flat braid join for the future.  It's really pretty!  I prefer JAYG and have done it with round motifs.  Unfortunately, it won't work for this afghan.  In order to get the picture, none of the joins can show on the front.  I wish I had read up on intarsia or tapestry before making the 324 squares.  I would have tried it that way.  I may still scrap the squares and go with intarsia.  I just can't figure out how to get sharp points and sharp diagonal lines with a graph.

Thank you all for your suggestions!!!

Re sharp points and diagonals, have you seen Laurinda Reddig's reversible intarsia? http://www.recrochetions.com/p/reversible-intarsia-resources.html

I have no experience with it or any intarsia myself, just throwing it out in case it might be useful.

I really prefer the "invisible stitch".  That way, you don't have to match the colors of yarn!

Do you have a link that shows the invisible stitch?  Is it different than the mattress stitch?

I recently found a great way to join them, and although I'm nearly finished my afghan (well I will once the postie arrives today, either today (fingers crossed) or tomorrow) I will definitely be using this tutorial

http://colorncream.blogspot.nl/2014/04/mastering-basics-join-as-you-go.html

In future projects

I am a big fan of the join as you go method and I use it all the time, even with rectangular granny squares. Currently, I am using the traditional grannys in my projects but I do have a book (I learned from it) that also shows how to do different joins with different squares.
The book is Join As You Go Afghans by the Needlecraft Shop.

Roe

Do you have a link that shows the invisible stitch?  Is it different than the mattress stitch?

This is my favorite way to sew the seams together and make it invisible!  

Step 1: Gather your materials: finished granny squares, a blunt needle, and your seaming yarn.Lay your granny squares side to side with the front side facing up.

Step 2: Insert your needle into the back loop  of your first crochet stitch from the back to the front.

Step 3: Repeat Step 2 on the opposite side. Continue this process on each stitch, alternating between sides. It’s sort of like lacing shoes.

Step 4: Lightly pull on both ends of your seaming yarn. The seam becomes invisible!

Step 5: Repeat with all squares, and that’s all there is to invisible seaming! Remember to weave in your ends and enjoy your new granny square project.

This makes the yarn invisible, so that the color of the seam remains unseen!  i LOVE it!!

• 2 weeks later...

if you are talking about an actual basic Granny I only do Continuous Join.

Beth's videos are so clear that it was easy to follow the first time.

oh.. and sorry about the ads, I never used to see them until Microsoft and Firefox killed my ad blockers.

Archived