USpolishgirl

Sunburst Dishcloth? or Doily? LOL

I crochet that for my daughter as a dishcloth. When she sew that, she asked me to crochet couple of them in ecru color. She wanted to use that as a doily LOL. That was made with Sugar'n Cream cotton yarn. But she like that for a doily. Go figure..LOL

That bright yellow color dos not show well on that picture. It came out a lot lighter.

I bought that pattern from Crochet Dude. That was a e-book with 12 patterns in one. I did had a problem with crocheting that "Sunburst Dishcloth". It was just NOT lying down flat, I knew something WAS missing. After that first row of those triple crochets that piece started "ruffling" on me. The more rows I did the more "ruffle" it got. Like a ruffled skirt. When I was looking at that I decided to ADD an extra row of those dc between 1 & 2 row. And that solved that problem completely:).

I think some kind of typo must had happened with that pattern. I did not try crocheting the other dishcloths. So I do not know IF there are also similar problems or not.

Krys

post-73590-0-76704300-1432584653_thumb.jpg post-73590-0-64325900-1432584700_thumb.jpg

Edited by USpolishgirl
  • Like 1

It's pretty. I have those same patterns and most of them do not lie flat. I'll make a note of your change on my pattern.

It's pretty. I have those same patterns and most of them do not lie flat. I'll make a note of your change on my pattern.

Thank you:)

If there are similar problems with other dishcloths from same e-book that would mean to me that was probably not a "typo". It is just not a very good design. Before I added that second row  of dc that thing was not looking good at all. On that picture of that e-book everything was looking great.

Just for you to know, that those dc are in "groups" of 2. That means 2 dc between each space. I do not know how well you can see all of that on those pictures.

Hearing that from you.. I don't think I am going to try the other dishcloths patterns from that e-book. I can make my own stuff instead of figuring out how to fix his/hers problems with all of that. I did made a couple minor changes in the last couple rows, just because I liked my way better. But that "ruffling" thing it was looking ridiculous. Anyway that "Sunburst" design it was the only one what I really liked out of that e-book.

Many times I like working from patterns. But ONLY when they are good. Because it goes faster :).

Krys

Edited by USpolishgirl

The "Sunshine" one lies flat and I think the "Anemone" did also, if those are in your package. I ended up short on rnd 5 of the sunshine because my pattern says 3 sc in the corner when it should be 4 sc. Evidently several of the others were meant to be ruffled, but some are pretty extreme.

The "Sunshine" one lies flat and I think the "Anemone" did also, if those are in your package. I ended up short on rnd 5 of the sunshine because my pattern says 3 sc in the corner when it should be 4 sc. Evidently several of the others were meant to be ruffled, but some are pretty extreme.

For me the "Sunshine" or "Sunburst" (I am always mixing those two names LOL) did NOT lied flat at all.

How long ago did you bought that e-book. I am asking that because I bought mine very long time ago, probably at least 7 years ago. But, I did not used that until now. So, maybe "they" fixed that problem.

I do know where the ruffles belongs or not.  To crochet a design like that "sunburst- sunshine" and not being able to see much any of that work because of those "ruffles" going allway to the end & around that dishcloth, that is something wrong!.

On that advertising photo what I saw before I bought that. There was none of that crazy ruffling going on. Everything was like it suppose to look. I remember that picture, I still have that in my computer.

Krys

PS: Soon after I bought that e-book I did took a very long "vacation" from crocheting. It was about 5 years long LOL In that time I only crocheted 1 plain blanket.

Edited by USpolishgirl

I just bought mine recently, but the crochetviller that helped me had the correct pattern from a number of years ago--didn't make sense that there's an error now. I agree that you can't see how pretty the design is when it ruffles so much.

I just bought mine recently, but the crochetviller that helped me had the correct pattern from a number of years ago--didn't make sense that there's an error now. I agree that you can't see how pretty the design is when it ruffles so much.

I am not sure if understand that correctly. I know there is an error in that pattern what I got many years ago. Who knows how many corrections to all those patterns "they" made thru all those years since I bought that..??.

And I have no idea if those patterns now still have some errors or not. Your pattern must be different because it lies down flat. The one what I got, no one could make that flat the way is written. Not only that but the size was comical for a washcloth, so small. It was coming tiny bit over over 6". And with all those opening there was not much fabric to wash anything with that. And that was crochet very loosely. After I added that round of double crochet and BLOCK that. That is why I got the size what you see on my picture above. Because of that design I could stretch that a lot. I know people probably do not block washcloths. But I did that for my daughter so would look nice when I was giving to her.

As far what I remember that e-book was not cheap either. It was around 14 bucks 7 or 8 years ago.  For that price all those patterns should been tested. And everything in that e-book should been checked & re-checked if everything was correct in it. Before was put-up for sale. 

All I know I will never buy anything from that place.

Krys..

Edited by USpolishgirl

I'm glad you let us know!  I've looked at Crochet Dude's stuff and it all seems a bit expensive compared to others.  I just watched a craftsy class by him and wasn't impressed.  I thought I'd be learning how to do a variety of cables.  It turned out to be 1 type of cable done 3 ways to complete an afghan of his design.  I felt like it was more of a very long advertisement for his stuff and designs than it was a class.

I'm glad you were able to fix the sun design.  It turned out beautifully!

I prefer the cotton 'doilies' in the kitchen to the thread ones.  They can help catch and clean up a spill in a pinch LOL

Very pretty. They would look lovely under small vases and are good for catching drips.

Very pretty and they will look good in the ecru.

I'm glad you let us know!  I've looked at Crochet Dude's stuff and it all seems a bit expensive compared to others.  I just watched a craftsy class by him and wasn't impressed.  I thought I'd be learning how to do a variety of cables.  It turned out to be 1 type of cable done 3 ways to complete an afghan of his design.  I felt like it was more of a very long advertisement for his stuff and designs than it was a class.

I'm glad you were able to fix the sun design.  It turned out beautifully!

Thank you & welcome:)

I just came a cross a crochet blog, there is a tutorial on cable stitch.  I don't know how good is that tutorial..?. I thought you might like to look that up.  http://www.slugsontherefrigerator.com/blog/cabled-crochet.

Krys

• Like 1