Am I a Crochet Addict? Are you one too?

I was just curious. I try to hide it from those around me, but I find if it appears I am not going to get to crochet any that day, I get ill and irritable inside. I can feel myself getting tense and grouchy for no reason other than there are so many other things (for instance, the stopped up sink drain of yesterday, YUCK!) crowding in my time that the opportunity to unwind and crochet is being pushed off my schedule. So, I have faced the fact I am a CROCHET ADDICT. If I don't get my daily "fix" of crochet for just a little while, I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER! LOL! Does anyone else out there have this same problem?

Oh, I'm definitely a crochet addict!! If I go a couple of days without crocheting, I really miss it. It's relaxing plus you have the sense of accomplishment seeing your project grow or finished.

Fear not, Olg!  You are NOT alone!  The 'Ville is teeming with crochet addicts!  And we're all here to support your habit!  But we aren't here to help you get OVER it!  Just to help you gain more patterns and more yarn than you can EVER POSSIBLY use!!  Happy crocheting!

Oh definitely, I was away for a few days and didn't take any crocheting with me and it took over a week and a half after I got back (long story) before I could be pick up a crochet hook. Now I am back in my little routine, finally!!!

Roe

LIRoe, Avon Lady and Greyhoundgrandma. It is so nice to have people who REALLY UNDERSTAND, as only another crocheter can. 

I live and breathe my arts and crafts. Really!

I even have a small crochet project in my bedroom on the nightstand in case I awake in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep or don't feel like reading. When I leave the house a current project goes with me. Crochet has given me a piece of mind and enough sanity to keep me going day to day. Last time I had to go to hospital, the Hubster grabbed my crochet bag so I would have it nearby in case I felt up to it. I crochet every single day and enjoy every single stitch. The only time I don't crochet is if I have to lay off for a day or so from arthritis, and that drives me bonkers. So am I a Crochet addict? Yes I am- and it doesn't bother me in the least.

ReniC: WOW!! WOW!! AND TRIPLE WOW!!! From one happy addict to another:I concede. You win! LOL! You are addicted worse than I am. LOL  You get the trophy. 

Olg ~ :rofl  :rofl  :rofl

Aren't most of the people here crochet addicts? Crocheting is my relaxation also, so I crochet nearly every single day. I have numerous projects going at any given time. I have, at last count, 55 bins of yarn, which I absolutely love! Once I was able to build up a stash this large, my estrange hubby helped me organize it by types, sizes, and colors in transparent bins ~ so now I "go shopping" in my stash to make my projects.

Oh, Real Deal, how totally blessed you are to have a stash, that large and that organized. I am so envious!

Well, a stash like that took a lot of years, and living near a $ store helped a lot. So many yarns ended up there for $1 a skein because of things missing on labels, labels that were glued crooked, discontinued yarn colors, etc. Nothing was wrong with the yarn.

Yes- I'm enamored with the art of crochet, although, I may not be as bad as I sounded but, I do really crochet every single day. I too have many categorized bins of yarn and thread (I'm trying to "wean" down- really!) and sometimes cannot wait to get to another project. I'm so blessed to have such fun things to do!

ReniC: WOW!! WOW!! AND TRIPLE WOW!!! From one happy addict to another:I concede. You win! LOL! You are addicted worse than I am. LOL  You get the trophy. 

I live and breathe my arts and crafts. Really!

I even have a small crochet project in my bedroom on the nightstand in case I awake in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep or don't feel like reading. When I leave the house a current project goes with me. Crochet has given me a piece of mind and enough sanity to keep me going day to day. Last time I had to go to hospital, the Hubster grabbed my crochet bag so I would have it nearby in case I felt up to it. I crochet every single day and enjoy every single stitch. The only time I don't crochet is if I have to lay off for a day or so from arthritis, and that drives me bonkers. So am I a Crochet addict? Yes I am- and it doesn't bother me in the least!

Right there with you, RenicC!  I "never leave home without it"!!  My hubby always asks, when we're going somewhere: "Got your crocheting?", because he's had to turn around so I can get something!  Now I just keep a couple of projects in the car!  :yes  ;) 

I know what you ladies mean by never leaving home without it. God has been so very good to me: I am a Stage 4 Cancer Survivor. But it was a long uphill battle. The days and weeks of treatment; hours and hours in waiting rooms for months on end--- before facing, going through, and having to recuperate from 3 surgeries would have driven me stark raving mad if I had not had 1st God there with me and 2nd my crocheting to keep my mind and hands occupied. It was such a familiar sight for me to be sitting there crocheting, people started asking questions and I began crocheting for others that I met. I made crochet hats for the other patients who had lost their hair like me. I made hats for the nurses. I made hats for myself. It became part of my routine exam every week for my chemo Dr to ask, okay what are you working on this week? LOL. That's when I really began grabbing my crochet bag every time I headed out the door. Wherever I was, it was there beside me. And still is today. 

I know what you ladies mean by never leaving home without it. God has been so very good to me: I am a Stage 4 Cancer Survivor. But it was a long uphill battle. The days and weeks of treatment; hours and hours in waiting rooms for months on end--- before facing, going through, and having to recuperate from 3 surgeries would have driven me stark raving mad if I had not had 1st God there with me and 2nd my crocheting to keep my mind and hands occupied. It was such a familiar sight for me to be sitting there crocheting, people started asking questions and I began crocheting for others that I met. I made crochet hats for the other patients who had lost their hair like me. I made hats for the nurses. I made hats for myself. It became part of my routine exam every week for my chemo Dr to ask, okay what are you working on this week? LOL. That's when I really began grabbing my crochet bag every time I headed out the door. Wherever I was, it was there beside me. And still is today. 

One of the miracles of crocheting is that you make so many friends when you crochet in public!  I was a little leery of crocheting in public at first--afraid people would look at me oddly, think that I was just another batty old lady!  But everywhere I go, the crocheting draws people--they're always asking what I'm crocheting (Well, most people ask what I'm knitting, but that's another story!  ;) ) I crochet very often in Menards, (while waiting for my hubby to look at everything in the store), and so many people have stopped to talk, that I no longer have any qualms!  I just love telling them about crochet!

Avon Lady; What a great idea to leave a project in the vehicle. Why didn't I think of that? I always take one with me, small on short trips and larger on long trips. Just last night when we went to our grandson's high school graduation, knowing it would be a bit of a wait, I took a dishcloth with me. The lady behind me asked what I was making and of course that struck up a conversation. She said she was tired of just knitting and admires all the crochet beauties she sees on the Internet. As a result, she is signing up at the LYS to take crochet lessons. Wish I could have been of more help to her for lessons, but, we live 20 miles apart.

Olg; My word- What a journey you've been on! I'm so glad for you that crochet helped you through such a warriors' fight with a horrid disease and you are at a point to call yourself a survivor! Wow! Good for you and I hope you have many more Blessings to come.

Thank you fellow crochet addicts, I have enjoyed the things you have shared so very much. I am honored to be in such great company. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am more of a needlework addict. I haven't been crocheting as much, but have filled in the time with cross-stitch. Other times I switch to quilting, although since I do that on my sewing machine, it is less portable and I don't do it as much.

Hello, my name is Ellen, I am a crochet addict. I take my knitty-ditty bag (as sis called it) everywhere. If a project gets to big, I just start another :lol . When I  :crocheting at lunch or in public, people always compliant my work. I have friends/co-workers who are enablers. They bring me :yarn  or ask me to make them stuff. This is one addiction I don't want to cure.

Ellie 13

• 2 years later...

Archived