PBLKNP

Favorite Crochet Stitch

Out of curiosity, what is your favorite go-to crochet stitch?

I was thinking of this because, now that my blanket is done, I've been crocheting squares with the leftover yarn, using my favorite stitch, the wattle stitch ("V" stitches - sc, ch 1, dc).  So, what is everyone's favorite stitch?

:D

I don't have a favorite stitch as yet. I love all crochet! Guess I've not been doing this long enough to have a favorite yet. My favorite part is figuring out  new patterns. I make crochet hats, and scarves.  And with each one I change and use a different pattern. To me, it's the thrill of figuring out the puzzle, whatever the stitch, and having it come together: something finished that I can wear that I made myself. 

I just took a closer look at your profile>no wonder you have favorite stitches. Wow. You've been in the "ville" since "05. I just joined April 15 of this year.  Do you ever make hats and scarves? What is your favorite pattern for them if you do?

I guess my favorite would be shell stitches. Most unfavorite is sc!

• Like 1

I don't have a favorite stitch, but I do have a favorite motif ... pineapple.  My least favorite is the granny cluster.

To add to the topic...

Favorite part of crocheting is learning anything new.

The parts I don't like are long chains, trying to crochet into them and weaving in ends.  Fortunately, I recently learned about foundation stitches, so no more long chains for me to stress over!

It definitely depends on what the project is. If I was going to pick a favorite I suppose it would be the Moss stitch, both crochet and Tunisian. My favorite pattern styles are either all in the same stitch or sections/rows of different stitches (5 rows Moss st, then 5 rows Grit st, 5 rows Seed st, etc).

Interesting question.  I don't think I can point to a favorite, but I have some I avoid...

HDC - I just think it's ugly and thick on it's own

Bullion -  They are neat looking when OTHER people make them but...

Stringy stitches - like Solomon's knot, hairpin lace.  Don't like the look or the making of them.  I don't mind chain spaces in lace, it's a more 'constructed' look.

I agree about learning new things, I often pick a pattern just to try something different .

i don't really have a fav either, I l ike doing the FPDC and BPDC stitches, I love the texture, all textured stitches, but don't have names for them right now, lol End weaving is zen for me, Ijust get in the zone, I don't mind them that much, as they give me a break from crocheting actually, a little break here and there, you know.

Well, I guess my favorite pattern must be the granny square, since I make lapghans for the veterans, prayer shawls for our local hospice, and baby blankies for children's hospitals.  I can grab it up and take it everywhere I go, and work on it while visiting with my friends, or going on trips in the car, because it's such a mindless stitch!  Another stitch I love is what we call Window Pane. I'm sure that isn't the name, but WE call it that!  It's chain one row, then work dc's in the next row, then ch 3 sc between the first 3 dcs and the next three dcs. Then repeat the 3 dc's in each ch-3 space.  I'm sure you don't understand all that, but I can explain it better if you'd like!  I think the Queen Victoria scarf was made in the same pattern, so she must have loved it too!  So, I guess I'm in good company!

Oh!  I also love shell stitches!

Edited by Avon Lady
  • Like 2

I've been crocheting for over 30 years, so I know this sounds strange, but I love single crochet! I like the tight fabric it makes, so no lining totes and other bags ~ and since I've crocheted long enough to have very even stitches, I love to see the look of rows of little corn kernels.

Of course I do other stitches according to the project, like dc for granny squares, or hdc if I want a touch of extra thickness, but sc is my go-to stitch.

I usually add interest to my projects using numerous colors rather than texture.

Avon Lady please explain further that window pane stitch....I can't picture it in my head. 

Avon Lady please explain further that window pane stitch....I can't picture it in my head. 

Chain a multiple of 3 stitches, or make a double crochet foundation chain in a multiple of 3

Row 1:  Dc in each stitch across.  Ch 3, turn.

Row 2: Sc between the 3rd and 6th dc of previous row.  ch 3, skip 3 dc, sc between next 2 dcs. 

Ch 3, turn.

Row 3: Make 2 dc in first ch-3 space. *Make 3 dc in next ch-3 sp. Repeat from * across.

Ch 3, turn.

Row 4: Sc between 3rd and 4th dc of previous row.  *Skip next 3 dc. Sc between next 2 dc.  Repeat from * across.

Repeat rows 3 and 4 until desired length.

This can be any width and length you wish, just be sure you have a repeat of 3 throughout.

(If this isn't clear, please let me know--this is coming out of my head...and I am suffering with a head cold...so....)

Edited by Avon Lady
  • Like 1

I don't have a favorite stitch as yet. I love all crochet! Guess I've not been doing this long enough to have a favorite yet. My favorite part is figuring out  new patterns. I make crochet hats, and scarves.  And with each one I change and use a different pattern. To me, it's the thrill of figuring out the puzzle, whatever the stitch, and having it come together: something finished that I can wear that I made myself. 

Sounds good to me too.  I also like different stitches at different times.

Avon Lady makes more sense to me now!  Thank you!  Think I'll give this one a try! 

Edited by kittyloverdeb

Most patterns I do use dc. I like the Box Stitch (AKA: c2c), but right now I'm making scarves in sc, working in back loops only. I like trying new things and creating my own designs. Last summer I did a challenge from The Crochet Crowed and learned a lot of new stitches. For afghans I use dc, for stuffed items I use sc. 

Ellie 13

I have a gazillion fave stitches but my goto stitch is the HDC.  I make a lot of hats for charity and they have to be warm so hdc it is.  I also have difficulty (with my hands) making sc so I often exchange sc patterns to hdc when I can.

I have to admit though that my 280 Crochet Shell Stitches is my fave book on stitches. ... so why isn't "shell" m y fave stitch  :think

:rofl

I'm most always tapestry crocheting so The SC stitch is definitely my favorite. I also like it because it's such a tight stitch. :yes

I'm sure it's a "guy" thing... I just don't like things that look holey or lacey if it's going to be for myself.

My favorite stitch would be a Herringbone Half Double Crochet. With a sport weight or worsted it almost looks knitted. It takes a while to make something with this stitch, but it's worth it when finished.

Whenever I try a new pattern, I feel like the stitch I'm using becomes my favorite for a bit, then I see something new I want to try, and I fall in love with that stitch.

Overall I'd say standard Tunisian afghan stitch is my favorite, I love the straight little lines, they make me feel that all is right in the world, lining up so perfectly, just a crisp smooth look.

I don't have to think twice about this.  My absolute favorite stitch is Foundation Single Crochet, also known as Single Crochet Base Chain.  Almost from the start, years and years ago, I avoided crocheting in rows because I simply hate crocheting into chains.  So learning this stitch (as well as fdc and fhdc) freed me from that onerous step and opened a whole old/new world.  :crocheting

• Like 1

Marzee, I agree!  There are very few things that I have to start with a chain.  To me, the worst part of crocheting is trying to crochet into a chain.  I take that back ... the worst is when the pattern has you crochet into the back of a chain.  Foundation stitches saves the hassle!  I even start my Tunisian with a fsc row, although I didn't figure out how to do it with Tunisian Entrelac.  I took Marty Miller's Mastering Foundation Crochet so that I can even start patterns with a foundation row.