Help with colors

krzykajun

Question

I'm over half way through another lapghan. It's red, white and blue. I miscalculated

and I will not have enough red and naturally the last band of red is supposed to be the

last 7 rows of the blanket. Short of frogging (my answer when things don't go my way or

I've done something stupid), what would you do? Thanks.

10 answers to this question

If you buy more red yarn and can't find the same dye lot, do all of the last 7 rows in the new yarn.  That way if the dye is slightly off, it won't show, since it won't be next to each other.  I'd go get more yarn to get the size I want.

ThRedrosesdz that's what I was thinking. I'm stash busting and had promised myself that I would use only

the yarn I have on hand. But, I think I will try to get more red. Kathy, I'm afraid that it will look odd if

the sides don't match. Does that make any sense? Thanks for the help.

It's true that if you have a different dye lot, separating it from the other dye lot with stripe(s) of another color works well.

Another thought, modify each end of the blanket.  I'm guessing your pattern might be 7 rows of red, 7 of blue, 7 of white  (21 rows)?  Perhaps end with a set of color stripes slightly different for the last 3 bands of red-white-blue that takes advantage of the colors you have left (perhaps using more white and blue than red, example a wide band of white, 2 rows blue, 2 rows white, 2 rows red, 2 rows white 2 rows blue, wide band of white), but is comprised of 10 -11 rows.  Then, go back to the beginning, work the other direction for the same # of rows in the same alternate stripe pattern.  It will preserve the length and be a design feature and both ends match.

Or, and this might be tricky to get the stitch count to line up - I've seen striped blankets with granny squares at each end.  Make some granny squares with red in the center and white, then blue to use the 3 colors but less red, and join as you go to the solid piece.  Another design feature!

edit - here's a hat with stripes + grannies to see the effect.  I'm finding other things scarves and shawls but no blankets so far (I know they're out there...)

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/granny-square-beanie

edit again - this is an interesting idea for an alternate edge for both ends, maybe a wide white band with blue and white stars (not necessarily in the corners like this one).

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/free-throw-lapghan

if it is an easily obtainable red, such as RHSS Cherry, or  something like that, i would go ahead, get the red, if not, maybe open a thread of what you are looking for, brand, name of color, and such, and maybe someone on here would have some to help save your day, lol, if neither of those ideas appeal to you, any of the above solutions are good ones, just takes a bit of imagination, lol   good luck! hope to see it when it's done...here is a ghan i did a while back, with rows of squares, and straight crochet, don't remember why, just thought it to be different I guess, lol  good luck

granny rows, and striped ghan post-40621-0-83046200-1430845783_thumb.jpg

Katyallen, that's really pretty!

Granny Square, I know it's not my thread, but I'm going to use your ideas for something I was thinking about doing with left over yarn, but didn't have quite enough of one color.  Thank you!!

Thanks to all of you. Granny Square, I'm going to save your suggestions for later use. I had not thought of

that. Katyallen, I was extremely lucky. I am using RHSS Hot Red. This yarn is a minimum of 10 years old.

I checked at WalMart and sure enough, they had some and although there is a slight difference in the color, I'm

amazed at how close it is.

Yay, and good for you!!

Katyallen, that's really pretty!

Granny Square, I know it's not my thread, but I'm going to use your ideas for something I was thinking about doing with left over yarn, but didn't have quite enough of one color.  Thank you!!

Thanks to all of you. Granny Square, I'm going to save your suggestions for later use. I had not thought of
that. Katyallen, I was extremely lucky. I am using RHSS Hot Red. This yarn is a minimum of 10 years old.
I checked at WalMart and sure enough, they had some and although there is a slight difference in the color, I'm
amazed at how close it is.

that really is a stroke of good luck, that the same color is still available :cheer

Archived