herringbone half double crochet ????

RebeccaVelasquez

Question

i don't get this Herringbone stitch. i looked at the stitch and it looks like a reg. DC stitch to me. What's the difference?????

jaye

So it's not a DC, it's really a HDC from what I get your instructions.

HDC you have 3 loops and yo and draw the yarn thru all 3 loops.

If it's not HDC I don't get it then. And why they call it Herringbone St.

I don't know either. Sorry....

jaye

question - after you draw through the loops and there are two loops on the hook, are you drawing the first loop through the loop of the second loop? but are you keeping both loops on the hook, and they are just kind of twisted?

The method of drawing through is the same as regular. You can see exactly how it is done at my tutorial.

There are photos. I'm sure there are other sites as well. Sometimes seeing it just worded a bit different, or with a different slant of the photos is all it takes for the info to "click".

question - after you draw through the loops and there are two loops on the hook, are you drawing the first loop through the loop of the second loop? but are you keeping both loops on the hook, and they are just kind of twisted? is that how the hdc herringbone stitch works?

i don't get this Herringbone stitch. i looked at the stitch and it looks like a reg. DC stitch to me. What's the difference?????

jaye

In a regular dc you - yo, Insert hook into stitch, yo , pull yarn through chain or stitch. You have three loops on hook at this point. Then yarn over, pull through 2 of those loops, yarn over, pull through the remaining two loops. Double crochet completed.

In the herringbone - same as dc up to 3 loops on hook, then Do NOT yo over again. Just pull through the first loop on hook. (2 loops rem on hk) then yo, Pull through both remaining loops

I think I wrote that right. :-) Hope that helps.

Remember, too, that this is a herringbone HDC, not DC. In the hdc, you go up to 3 loops on hook and draw through all three.

Hi even im finding it very difficult to get this stitch can you'll please help me! im also trying to make a fat bottomed bag but am just not understanding the stitch and please also help me understand whats " YO" in the stitch ?

Divya

Sandie - the pictures you have put up show exactly the method I always use for herringbone hdc, and I never have any trouble either. After inserting the hook into the stitch, and yo, I draw the yarn through the stitch, pause, tighten the yarn in my hand, and then draw it through the first loop, after this, the stitch is easy to complete.

This book will answer a whole lot of questions and your jaw will drop when you see all the variations of the ripple or chevron and other patterns. Barnes and Noble is where I got both of mine; and though my sister lost my first book, the one I purchased a couple of years ago was a newer edition but the exact same stitches as the first book I had.

The compilation is OOP and about $42 on Amazon (ouch)
Ouch is right! I didn't know they were out of print, but that makes sense I guess since I got my copies off a bargain table for $7.98 each a few years ago. They're great books--the publisher ought to reprint them!

here is a pic of my attempt at doing this stitch. it is hard to do and took half hour just to do 3 rows. i followed the directions below. :tup

hhtrstitch003.jpg

Rebecca, here are directions for the herringbone hdc I found in my Harmony Guide:

yo, insert hook, yo, draw through st and first loop on hook, yo, draw through both loops on hook. As near as I can tell, my stitches look the same as in the clutch.

I'm wondering if you're adding an extra yo after you draw the loop through the stitch. When I first tried it, I found myself doing that because it's more natural to work the stitch that way.

I had never heard of the Harmony guides until a few days ago and this is the second stitch I have liked from the book. The compilation is OOP and about $42 on Amazon (ouch) and my library didn't have it. I will just watch for it on eBay and cross my fingers.

Oh and Rebecca :P

Rebecca, here are directions for the herringbone hdc I found in my Harmony Guide:

yo, insert hook, yo, draw through st and first loop on hook, yo, draw through both loops on hook. As near as I can tell, my stitches look the same as in the clutch.

I'm wondering if you're adding an extra yo after you draw the loop through the stitch. When I first tried it, I found myself doing that because it's more natural to work the stitch that way.

i thought so.... i don't usually have trouble with pattern/stitch directions.....

i'm going to take some pics of what i'm doing.... maybe then someone can help :P

(and i did email julie - waiting for a reply)

ck out THIS link.... this is my exact problem

I know, you are so much more experienced than I am :think . Now I have to get out my yarn and hooks later and try it! I may not get to it tonight though. Darn it Rebecca, now it'll bug me!

Archived