LVeg

Can someone suggest a marking pen that will work on acrylic yarn?

Question

I do not consider myself an expert in embroidery in the slightest, and I would say that is probably the skill I need to work on most when it comes to amigurumi. My problem has always been that although I can picture what I want the embroidery to be in my head, it's very hard to translate that to stitches without a pattern to follow. I've considered using a sharpie to indicate where I want my designs, but If I mess up I'll have botched my entire project! 

Then I realized there was a product called a "marking pen" that is used in quilting and sewing to mark fabric. The ink tends to disappear if you blot it with a damp towel, but I I am unsure how well this will work on an amigurumi (especially acrylic yarn). 

Does anyone have experience using marking pens, and can you suggest a specific brand to try? Also are there any pens that would be suitable to use on darker material? Thanks!!

4 answers to this question

Sorry--I can't help you, but I've often wondered about this myself!  I come up short when I try to embroider faces, etc. on crocheted items!  Hope you find someone to help!

I think I just found something that might work!  Go to Google.com and google "transfer pencil for embroidery".  
They had one DMC U1539 Embroidery Transfer Pen, Blue.  Looks good!

I'm not sure if you can find such a thing, but for fabric sewing, ages ago, I bought a kit used for transferring the marks on sewing patterns to the fabric.  I still use it.  It had little chalk pieces that were maybe 1/8" in diameter.  When you were done, the chalk marks brushed right off.

The only bad thing, while the chalk did come in colors they were all pretty pale; so this would work for your dark toy problem but maybe not so much for a white toy.

The other thought, this chalk kit was an alternative to what I'd used before, which was a tailor tack (an 'x', or sometimes a basted line, made with a piece of waste thread).  You could take a needle and sewing thread and 'baste sketch' the face in big stitches, easy to pull out and re-do, and you can leave it in and embroider over it in yarn, easy to pull out when you're done.

edit, I'm finding various tailor's chalk things which seem to be geared mostly for quilting, but the more I think about it I think I'd personally use the basted thread line.  I'd be afraid of pilling up the yarn, or worse, removing the marker line.

Edited by Granny Square

The basted stitch line is a trick used for sewn dolls and can be very helpful, especially when trying to make eyes that are mirrored perfectly. That is a great tip.

I use chalk pencils and a purple vanishing ink pen - both found in Michael's or Joann Fabrics for my sewn dolls, but they are mostly used by quilter's. The markers tend to dry out quickly. Chalk doesn't show up well on yarn. I have used crayola washable markers but when you wash your item, the color tends to bleed and takes a lot of washing to get the color mostly out and some still lingers which is not good. I wouldn't advise using those.

I place pins in the areas where I want my features and then embroider. It works pretty well.:)

Edited by #1Crochetfan