Having problems starting Crochet Cozy

starfloater

Hi all,

Thank you for letting me be a part of this community! It is great that I can come here for information regarding tutorials and online classes. :)  I live in New York City and have only been crocheting for a month now. I have done many coasters and now trying to do cozies. 

I am a beginner when it comes to crocheting and I am really getting into it. However, I have reached a problem when reading an understanding this one example I am trying to do.   I have attached a snapshot of the cozy I am trying to do.  

One of my issues is that I don't even understand the first line, lol!

Round 1 states to only create 2 chains then do 7 single crochets in the 2nd chain. Does that mean that I have to do 7 single crochets by crocheting in the same 2nd chain 7 times or crochet the first single crochet in the 2nd chain then after that do the second single crochet in the first single crochet I just did and then the third single crochet in the second single crochet I just did?

Then it tells me not to join it but if I don't join it how is it becoming round?

Then Round 2 is stating to create two single crochets in next 6 single crochets, does that mean I am working on the first row of single crochets from round 1 and starting at the 6th single crochet over?

I have tried finding this on youtube.com but those videos are not chaining just 2 but usually are working with more than just 2 ch.

Any type of help would be really appreciated:)

post-74972-0-82652300-1430140693_thumb.jpg

The instructions are for an increasing spiral.  You chain 2.  The first chain is a ring and the second chain gives you the height of a single crochet.  All 7 of the single crochets are done in the ring.  You'll find as you add single crochets that it naturally creates a ring to make room for all of the stitches.  When you're done making the 7 single crochets, round 2 builds on the first round.  You just keep working round and round. 

All rounds start with a ring.  Some start by chaining a few, joining the chain and then round 1 is done in the ring formed by joining the chain.  Some start with a single chain and a chain for height and then round 1 forms the ring in the first chain.  The traditional round is made by joining the end of each round, creating a chain to get height for the next round and so on.  The spiral round is made by continuous stitching each round on top of the previous one.  You're doing a spiral.

Spirals are typically single crochets for the base.  Stitching 2 single crochets in the same stitch is an increase and makes the spiral flat. 

Round 1 is a ring of sc (sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc, sc all in the first chain.)

Round 2 increases (2sc, 2sc, 2sc, 2sc, 2sc, 2sc, sc in each of the first 7 scs.)

Round 3 increases again (sc, 2sc, sc, 2sc, sc, 2sc ... sc in each of round 2's stitches.)

When you get to round 6, you're no longer increasing.  This will cause the spiral to curl and go up, instead of flat.

I always put a marker on my last stitch in the first round, so I know where the next round starts.

I hope this helped!

Archived