Question for amigurumi: what glue should I use?

LVeg

Question

I make amigurmi and I try to crochet and stitch on as many details as I can, however, in some cases gluing felt to the figure is more appropriate and practical. When I made my last figure, it had a wire armature, and I had to glue some details onto it's arms and hands. I used tacky glue and it worked decently well, but I had to pin it in place while it dried, and the pins left visible holes unfortunately. The tacky glue also made the glued areas very stiff, and if possible, I'd like to minimize that.

Would hot gluing felt be a viable option, or will yarn melt too much? What about superglue? What kind of glue do you guys use for felt details on amigurumi?  

4 answers to this question

I use my glue gun.  It seems to hold quite well.  I don't really like the sticky glue for the reason you listed.

Thanks, I will have to do a test swatch to try it out. How well does hot glue generally hold? Are there any other glues people use? 

You can use Hot glue. I don't think it will melt the yarn. But that might depend what type of yarn you are using. I used Hot glue few times and it turned out fine. They also sell that in Warm version not Hot. Hot glue holds up very well & dryes instantly:). Alien's fabric glue would work fine. The one what dries clear.

Testing is always good:).

Krys

Archived