Will Blocking Help?

krzykajun

Question

I've been making lapghans to use up my stash of older yarn. I decided I would do any

blocking when I'm finished. But I'm looking at this lapghan and it's all out of kilter. I don't understand what's going on. It's a granny square !! Why is it so off? My

husband says leave it - that whoever gets it will be happy with it and not notice. I

don't know what to do. Will blocking help or should I frog it? Opinions please !

post-7943-0-54510200-1429564653_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

Is it acrylic?  You might be able to steam-block it (hold iron a couple of inches from the work, don't tough the fabric).  This will make the piece not-stretchy and limp, which is OK for a blanket.

The reason it does that is because it is a large piece done in the round, same side always facing you, no turning.  Crochet stitches have a bias to them.

In the round, same side always facing

///////

///////

///////

Turned every other round - the bias cancels itself out

\\\\\\\

///////

\\\\\\\

If you make another one of these blankets, turn it every other round.  It will make it square, plus the added bonus of making the blanket completely reversible.  This bias isn't as obvious when you make little squares and sew them up, but does when you make a big piece like this.

yep, she's right, that is what we call  getting wonky ha ha, but totally fixable by either what was said above, but I have been told that when washed gently, and dried briefly and then laid out,  or lightly blocked, ( i prefer the spray water on it, and lie flat, pin it if you want, straightening it as you go, ) and the wonkiness goes away.. with 12 inch blocks, as I have never done this with a larger one, I just bite my cheek, and turn every couple of rows...Grrr)

that is how i block them, if needed. and put together with others of its size works out very well on the whole. I absolutely love the illistration of the stitches Grany Square, you always explain things so wonderfully! :ty

and noooo, if it were me, i wouldn't frog it all!!! try the blocking hints, lol see if that gets your results..

To Becky Morgan,  GrannySquare and katyallen8090: I want to say a BIG THANK YOU. Since I joined the site a few days ago, I have not only been reading my own question threads, I have been reading others as well, this one included. I had no idea why my work got wonky--thought it was just me and the way I did things. (I learned to crochet from a learn to crochet kit.) Thank you so much for explaining things. I am learning so much just by reading your replies and explanations. 

olg, I have found that I can always count on getting the answers I need here.   There are some very talented members who are ready to help with advice or tips.   Welcome to the 'Ville !!

Archived