Increasing in the round

pyjamas

Question

Stupid question but following a pattern to make a toy head. Have started increasing by sc 1 inc, sc 2 inc etc up to round 6 where the pattern now says sc 1, inc, (sc 4, inc) x 5, sc 3 = [36]. Is this not the same as sc 4 inc? Or will it make the final head look wrong?

4 answers to this question

I'm not sure about your question, but reading the pattern, I counted 36 stitches.  I read it as 4 sc between each 2 sc in the same stitch, making a total of 4 sc and an increase 6 times.  It's just that the first set of 4 sc are split between 1 at the beginning and 3 at the end.

sc, inc, sc, sc, sc, sc, inc, sc, sc, sc, sc, inc, sc, sc, sc, sc, inc, sc, sc, sc, sc, inc, sc, sc, sc, sc, inc, sc, sc, sc = 36 stitches

I could be wrong, since I can't see more of the pattern, but this type of increasing is common for working a spiral round.  If this doesn't look right to you, try writing it out before you stitch.  I hope this helps!

The way you've written it does make more sense I'm just confused because in the past I've always just done 4 sc and then an increase six times to make up the 36 stitches. Writing it out the way you have has definately helped especially the way I read it would have been wrong so thanks :D

Keep in mind that for a toy, there may be shaping that is not evenly spaced all the way around; you may have more increases or decreases in 1 spot to form a shape - like a protrusion for a nose, or the calf of a leg for instance.  

I've found it's best to try to follow the instructions as written the first time around before you decide 'that doesn't sound right, I think I'll do x instead'.  I'm not saying that patterns sometimes don't have mistakes, but I've been pleasantly surprised (and learned a lot) after executing an odd-sounding instruction over the years.

Archived