Egg Dye Dyeing

deneen

Okay, I am officially addicted. All Kool-Aid and egg dyes is used up here. Next step, tie-dyeing cotton softball yarn.

This was done this AM using egg dye I bought specifically for this last year.

It's LB Fisherman's Wool. The purple/green/blue (my fav) was layed in a pyrex dish and I poured colors where I wanted them and wore gloves to press it into the yarn. This ended up being nuked for about 6 minutes, with 2 minute rests in between. The dye never ran clear on this. I rinsed it well, wrapped it in a towel to absorb extra water and it's hanging to dry. I did two tabs of green in about 6 ounces of water with a glug of vinegar. I did a tab of red and blue to make the deeper purple, and two tabs of blue for the blue. The green and purple ran clear, but the blue never did.

The other one is with red, orange, green and blue. This one I tried in a plastic zip loc bag, poured the dye in and sealed the bag, squished it around and opened the bag halfway and nuked it for 2 minutes, rest two minutes, nuke 2 minutes. This also didn't run clear, but the colors are vibrant! The only thing was the red tabs said not to use with vinegar, but how would I set the color??? I used the vinegar and it came out a very subdued almost maroon color, but that is okay!

th_DSC01316.jpg

th_DSC01315.jpg

Archived