Baby Hat Help

simsfamtrav

Question

Hi all,

I am new to the group and new to crocheting. For two days, I have attempted 2 different patterns for a baby hat. Currently working on a beginner pattern for a newborn.

After several rounds, my work is curling on the ends. Any advice as to what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Connie

7 answers to this question

It should start curling slightly, to cup the baby's head.  After round 4 or 5, you stop increasing, then it just works even.  what pattern are you using?

Which pattern are you using?  There are several patterns on that site.  Are you working in a circle, or making it flat, then joining?

Having trouble finding a pattern with that exact title, but found this by the same designer, is this the one?  (PS, it's ok to put a link to an online pattern here, you just can't post the pattern itself)

http://cre8tioncrochet.com/2014/11/crochet-preemie-hat-newborn/

When you make a hat in the round, from the crown, each row you increase by the number of stitches that you made in the first round.  In this pattern, that number is 10 or 12 depending on the size you are making.

This pattern is all post stitches with plain DCs between.  When you say curling, do you mean forming a cup shape, or is it wavy/ruffling?  It should be forming a gentle cup shape.

If it is ruffling, you are making too many increases.  The pattern appears to be written correctly.  Pay special attention to where it tells you to put a stitch, it varies in each round by where you to put a stitch in the SAME stitch or the NEXT stitch.  

My pattern is a different one. Will look for the link (I pasted the pattern in a Word document).

My work is wavy and ruffling. Obviously doing something wrong. Not understanding the increasing. The pattern states to repeat DC in every st for rounds 4-10. Slst at end of round, ch3

Might need to just move on and try some blankets.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

The increasing rounds are done like this:  You increase by making 2 dc in each dc on the first round.  On the second round you make 2 dc in the first st., then 1 dc in the next, and repeat that pattern all around.  In row 3, you make 2 dc in the first dc, and 1 dc in each of the next two dc and repeat that pattern all around.  Then in row 4, you make 2 dc in the first stitch, and make 1 dc in each of the next three stitches and repeat that pattern all around.  All of the following rows are just dc in ea dc around.

I agree that you probably picked a difficult pattern for a beginner.  Just go to www.crochetpatterncentral.com and find a beginner baby hat, to start with.

Archived