Help! Using a Chevron Granny Blanket Pattern

SweetButterfly

Question

Hi ~

I'm trying to make a blanket using the Chevron Granny Blanket pattern from theroyalsisters.blogspot.com  I am having difficulty getting the end to come out correctly (i.e. - the number of crochet stitches).  It says to "Chain 183-185.  Take any un-crocheted chains off the end when you have finished first row." (not sure what that means or how to do unless I take out the whole first row).  "You can make it much bigger by adding more chains, approx 15 ch each time.  Finish with a downward slope to match the start of row."

The start of the first round the pattern said to miss the first chain.  Is the first missed chain considered the chain on the hook or the chain beside the hook?  

I've tried different combinations - I still can't get it to work out.  The closest I've come is doing a set of 15 chains until the desired length but end of having one chain left for another stitch.  (ex. - end says to 3 dc in next chain, 1 dc in next 7 chains, turn).  I seem to have an extra chain (8) left over each time.   I have gone back and counted.  The "valleys" and "hills" on the ripples seem to be in line with each other - but the end gets me every time.  Any suggestions???? :think  I'm wondering if it is me or is it the pattern instructions that is a little off????  :shrug

(A friend wants me to show her mother how to do this so I went back to make a sample and still not working).

Thanks. Cadie

3 answers to this question

It says to "Chain 183-185.  Take any un-crocheted chains off the end when you have finished first row." (not sure what that means or how to do unless I take out the whole first row).  

1) You can take out the chains from "the other way" by unraveling the "knot" you have done when you start your chain while leaving all your stitches in tact.  Rachel from Maybe Matilda has a great set of photo instructions on how to take out the extra chains.

The start of the first round the pattern said to miss the first chain.  Is the first missed chain considered the chain on the hook or the chain beside the hook?  

2) Skip one chain: Skip the chain immediately next to the hook. Never count the loop that is currently on your hook as a "chain"

Sorry I cannot help you for the rest of the pattern since I'd actually have to do them (and am unable to at the moment).  I hope the explanations on the first 2 parts help.

Many very old patterns will tell you to make a chain of a certain length (not number of chains), then tell you do turn and do the pattern for x repeats, and cut off the excess chain.  I've never been brave enough to just snip (even though it won't unravel), but I often chain a few extra when the number of chains is a large number (like 100+).  It's easy enough to unravel a few stitches.

This pattern writer was very kind to note that is written in UK terms, and to give the 'translation' - I hope this is not throwing you off.

One thing that seems wrong - after the long chain, it says 'miss 1 chain, triple in the next 7'etc.).  That is an odd set-up.  It seems to me that it should have said 'miss 3 chains, triple in the next 6 chains' -  because normally one begins the first row of US DC / UK TR by putting the first real stitch into the 4th chain from the hook, and the unused first 3 chains count as a stitch.

Here are other similar patterns, with an increase of 2 stitches at the top of the 'hill' and skip 2 in the 'valley'

https://thehookingnook.wordpress.com/2014/03/27/jaspers-chevron-blankie/

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/us/pattern.php?id=3886〈=us

Here is a search for other free ripple and chevron patterns (there is a lot of overlap)

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=crochet&query=chevron%20blanket&page=1&availability=free&view=captioned_thumbs&sort=best

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#view=captioned_thumbs&page=1&craft=crochet&availability=free&sort=best&query=ripple%20blanket

Archived