Help me with leaving a rectangular hole on the project

Hako Tran

Question

Hello everybody,

I am from Vietnam and totally new in crochet. Nice to meet you!
I am just wondering how to leave a rectangular hole on my project. I am doing a single crochet around to wrapp a jar. There is a picture on the jar so I want to leave a rectangular hole on it but I dont know how to do.
Please give me any instructions for this one. Thank you very much.

For example, With this wrapped jar but leave a rectangular hole on it, Help please!

post-74709-0-55563200-1427120698_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

Decided to wait to see where you want the rectangle to explain it better as it really depends on the placement.

I am just wondering how to leave a rectangular hole on my project. I am doing a single crochet around to wrapp a jar. There is a picture on the jar so I want to leave a rectangular hole on it but I dont know how to do.

For example, With this wrapped jar but leave a rectangular hole on it, Help please!

attachicon.gifIMG_13961.jpg

Hi HakoTran, I am trying to explain the best I can--- and my drawing is not too good tonight since it's late. I hope I am understanding this correctly:

When you work in circle, you usually do not "turn" or "flip" your work. But when you make a scarf, you always turn your work after you finish a row, correct?

So when you crochet in circle/round and want to leave a hole/gap, you have to mix the two ways: 

1) You crochet around normally in rounds until you reach the right height--then you start the hole. 

2) You start the hole by crocheting in rows: So you chain 1, then turn your work, start to work in rows like you do for a scarf. 

post-74560-0-44712800-1427199782_thumb.png

3) Skip stitches: To make the hole, you do not complete the whole circle.  Example: If your circle is 30 stitches in round, you crochet 26 stitches only, chain one, turn again, crochet 26 stitches, turn, ch1, crochet 26 stitches..... 

Continue to work in rows until you want to close the rectangle. 

To close the rectangle, you chain the missing number of stitches Example: Circle = 30 stitches, you crochet 26 stitches... so to close the hole you "chain 4" then crochet normally back into the beginning.

I hope this helps? 

Thank you so much for all your helps !!!
I am sorry for replying late.
Actually I had done it before reading your instructions.  :) And I did the same like you said. Anyway Thank you so much for helping me.
Now I want to share my done work.  :manyheart

post-74709-0-74925500-1427375136_thumb.jpg

Archived