Pattern design tips?

Kapia

Question

Hi! I just started designing my own patterns and I'd like to know some tips from people who have more experience. Right now I just want to share, not sell but I feel really insecure about people misunderstanding them. I don't know if maybe I should start sharing easy level patterns before moving to more difficult ones, or if maybe I should share them as tutorials with images or videos. I also would love to share them in written version but also in visual patterns.

What do you suggest to make sure people understand my patterns?

Thank you for your comments :)!

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

It will really help if you follow standard terminology, here are guidelines.  Note the menu at the right, there is a section for designers.  I just noticed the crochet abbreviation page is incomplete, it looks like the PDF file is correct; they have made some changes to their website recently.  

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards.html

The above site is based on US terminology; I see you are in Spain; there are 2 stitch-naming schemes in English language patterns, US and UK unfortunately.  A SC in the US is a DC in the UK. It would be helpful if you noted if your patterns are in US or UK terms.  Chain and slip stitch are the same, but the other stitch names are different, see below

http://www.yarnfwd.com/main/crochet.html

I have a personal bias against too many pictures, but I know not all agree with me.  IMO there are sites, videos and books that tell you in great detail how to make the basic stitches and basic stitch variations--this information does not belong in patterns, except maybe as a link if it's a really unusual technique.  If I want to make a hat, I don't want 10 pics showing me how to do a DC or adjustable ring for example. 

On the other hand, some patterns have odd stitch pattern or assembly aspects where a pic or a diagram might be worth 1000 words.  But please not 1000 pics if a word will do. 

Thank you for the links! You're right, I think I would need to decide if I want to make patterns for beginners or for intermediate-advanced crocheters. I think beginners are grateful for images but any other person it's okay with a link to a video explaining rare stitches.

Do you have any suggestions for making visual patterns? 

For visuals, I would take a cue from patterns in magazines or yarn sites on the web.  They don't have dozens of photos , and are easily understood by most crocheters.

(1) take a few photos of the finished thing, perhaps in 2 or 3 poses for a garment, and a close up of the stitch pattern if it's unusual.  Sometimes pattern models are posed in a strange way and it's hard to see how a garment fits; or a blanket is artfully bunched up and draped over something, and it's hard to tell what it really looks like.  

(2) For anything made in pieces and assembled, include a schematic of their shapes, a description of what it is and their orientation if that applies ('sleeve', 'doll's head, top'), and their measurements for different sizes if that applies.  

(3) Stitch diagrams are really helpful in some situations, and makes the pattern more easily understood, especially if your audience speaks different languages.

Not all of these always apply.  If you are making a pot holder or a hat, in a straightforward pattern, 1 photo should be sufficient, and wouldn't need a schematic or stitch diagram.

Archived