Cluster stitch?

Wajeeha Iftikhar

Question

Hi everybody

I happened upon this forum and found out that it's so awesome, already I've solved 2 problems I was facing in crochet and I didn't even ask a question ^^ (Smiley not working)

But here's a pattern, I'm making a Daisy Chain Bookmark I found on yarnspirations I think, I've forgotten because I saved and just printed it out. And here's what it says; I made the round 1 fine, and I do have 14 "sps" (yes, spaces, crochetville told me that ^^). So here's my confusion:

1. Ch 3 - Okay I chained thrice, or made 3 chains
  2. Miss first ch-2 sp - Yes, I can skip the last space.
  3. *[(Yoh) twice and draw up a loop. (Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook) twice] 3 times in next ch-2 sp. Yoh and draw through all loops on hook - cluster made.

The 3rd step is my problem.

I understand that this whole process is what is cluster?

Okay, I yarned over my hook twice, but is it after 2 yarn overs that i insert my hook into the space or is it after one yarn over loop, insert into space, yarn over again and then draw up a loop so there are a number of loops on my hook? How many loops should there be anyway?? Can anyone do this for me and count the number of loops for me?

heres the link:

http://www.yarnspirations.com/patterns.html?pattern_free=47816&yarn%5B0%5D=164468

(For some reason, the page isn't working for me. Please go to the yarnspirations website and search for "Daisy Chain Bookmark" in the Free Patterns)

Thank you all in advance.

19 answers to this question

I get it now.

The portion I've made is "one half" of the daisy that I'm making. Daisy chain bookmark right.

Now I'll make the one at the corner, which grannysquare pointed out 'going around the corner' then the opposite side will make the other half of the daisy.

Should be done in an hour. Let's see what kind of "daisy" I turn up with =)

haven't made the last one yet. I'll do it now.

But I'm quite worried about it. This is the last ch-2 space and I have to (cluster, ch-8) 4 times in this one space.

Phew! It's so small and so much inside it, how I will manage it, I'm curious.

Well, let's see. Once the bookmark is done, I'll post a completed pic here as well. So anybody else looking for this pattern or help on it can find it easily.

Thank you for replying granny square. Acrylic?? Nope

This is normal cotton yarn, the most common type.

Since I'm a beginner I haven't ywt experimented with yarn types yet.

But, I'm not that much of a beginner either.

I've already made a double crochet pouch, a simpler single crochet round coin purse, a bigger handbag of 11 by 11 inches.

And this was my 4th project.

The only thing troubling me in this patteen is the way it wants me to add such big clusters in the small 2-ch space.

And in the last one it wants me to cluster n ch-8 FOUR TIMES!!

Now I feel I need someone who's just made this bookmark.

The picture in the pattern doesn't 'blow up' well to compare, but what you have looks right per the instructions.  Lace looks like a crumpled rag until you block it.

You are working this in yarn, the pattern calls for cotton crochet thread.  Lace like this needs to be blocked*--are you using acrylic yarn?  I think you are going to be disappointed if so.  The only way to block acrylic is to 'kill' it with indirect heat (as in, pinning the bookmark into shape on a padded heat proof surface & holding a hot iron a few inches from the object--acrylic will melt if it gets too hot).  It will then keep its shape but it will be limp.

If this were made with cotton thread or wool yarn (natural fiber), you could just wet block it with a little starch.  

*especially for something this small.  Sometimes you can get away with not blocking it (or at least not as aggressively) if it is a bigger piece.

Thanks magicrochetfan.

I tried to do this. It looks extremely weird. The first one is okay, it looks like a cluster. The 2nd time (read after cluster made, it tells u to do 8 chains, then a cluster in the same space), so the 2nd time it turns up like serious crappy look. I can't even pull through all loops 2ND time!!

I'm on my phone right now, I'll post a pic in a few hours when I get up tomorrow (yes it's midnight here).

Good night for now.

http://www.yarnspirations.com/daisy-chain-bookmark.html is the page of the free pattern

in the first row you chained 2 several times; those are the chain-2 spaces. You create a "chain space" by making chains.  so it is the first of these chain-2 spaces that you skip in the second round.  it says "2nd rnd: Ch 3. Miss first ch-2 sp. *[(Yoh) twice and draw up a loop. (Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook) twice] 3 times in next ch-2 sp. Yoh and draw through all loops on hook – cluster made. "

So do the chain 3, skip over the first chain 2 space and the following dc, and go to the second ch2 space and make the cluster there.  

it would help if there were a better photo of the bookmark.  

Nancybanta thanks once again n sorry for getting ur name wrong 1st tym.

Actually I think ur wrong abt spaces meaning the 3 chains that I made for the 2nd round. Because that would take me in the reverse direction...

Like I said, the site has probably expired on its hosting...

Here's wat the instructions for round 1 had told me.

1- ch 47- ok 47 chain stitches.

2- 1dc in 8th ch from hook. *Ch 2. Miss next 2 ch. 1dc in next ch. Rep from * to end of chain. Turn. 14 SPACES.

So u see I mentioned that I got round 1 all right n I do have 14 spaces.

Now plz read the copied instructions for RND 2 again.

N now tel me, Wats the "ch-2 sp"? I assumed it's the space I created by missing 2 chains.

So plz help!! Again!!

Thank you very much Villager. That was so much more easier to understand!!

There's only one last thing, and you missed it too.

When do i insert the hook in the space? do I

1. yarn over hook twice, then enter the hook in the space, and draw loop, or
  2. do I yarn over once, enter space, yarn over again and draw loop, or
  3. enter hook into space, yarn over twice, then draw the loop?

After everything, the "space" in which I have to make this cluster, is still in confusion, where to enter??

*[(Yoh) twice and draw up a loop. (Yoh and draw through 2 loops on hook) twice] 3 times in next ch-2 sp. Yoh and draw through all loops on hook - cluster made.

When you yarn over twice and draw up a loop, you should have 4 loops on your hook - you're going to yarn over and draw through 2 of them two times which will leave you 2 loops on your hook.

Then you're going to yarn over twice and draw up a loop in that same space - you  should now have 5 loops on your hook - yarn over and draw through 2 of them two times - you'll have 3 loops on your hook.

Yarn over twice and draw up a loop in the same space (this is your third time doing this) - you should have 6 loops on your hook.  Yarn over and draw through 2 of them two times  - you'll have 4 loops left on your hook

Then you yarn over and draw through those four loops left on your hook and THAT makes the cluster.

Archived