Grannies In Reserve

Grannies in Reverse

Make 3 squares of each color, Perfect Pink, Bright Yellow, Spring Green, Orchid, and Turqua, border each square with a row of white.

Total 15 squares

Then change to white and make 3 white squares bordered with each color for a total of 15 squares.

Finished Size – 45 x 38

With any color, ch 5; join with slip st in first ch to form a ring.

Round 1 (right side): Ch 3 (counts as first dc here and throughout), 2 dc in ring, [ch 3, 3 dc in ring] 3 times, ch 3; join with slip st in top

of beginning ch.  Slip stitch along top until you reach the next ch-3 space —12 dc and 4 corner ch-3 spaces.

Round 2: Ch 3, dc in next 2 dc, (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) in next corner ch-3 space, [dc in next 3 dc, (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) in next corner ch-3 space] 3times; join with slip st in top of beginning ch – Slip stitch along top until you reach the next ch-3 space. 28 dc and 4 corner ch-3 spaces.

Round 3: Ch 3, dc in next 4 dc, (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) in next corner ch-3 space, [dc in next 7 dc, (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) in next corner ch-3 space] 3 times, dc in last 2 dc; join with slip st in top of beginning ch.  Slip stitch along top until you reach the next ch-3 space.  —44 dc and 4 corner ch-3 spaces.

Round 4 – 6 continue each row with same color then fasten off and change to white for Round 7.  Fasten off.

Stitch squares together keeping all squares of the same color in the same rows.  Each row will be six squares with three colored squares with white borders, and three white squares with colored borders.  Alternate colored squares with white squares to make checker board pattern.  Refer to photo for guide.

Border

Round 1 (right side): With right side facing, join color of your choice with sc in any corner ch-3 space, 2 sc in same ch-3 space, sc evenly spaced around entire outer edge, working 3 sc in each corner

ch-3 space; join with slip st in first sc.

Fasten off.

Round 2: With right side facing, join different color of your choice with sc in center sc of any 3-sc corner, 2 sc in same sc, sc in each sc around, working 3 sc in center sc of each corner; join with slip st in first sc. Fasten off.

Round 3: With right side facing, join third color of your choice with

sc in center sc of any 3-sc corner, ch 5, sc in same sc, *ch 5, skip next 3 sc, (sc, ch 5, sc) in next sc; repeat from * all the way round throw, working (sc, ch 5, sc) in each corner sc and adjusting the number of stitches skipped near corners as needed. Fasten off.

post-74577-0-45661200-1425670589_thumb.jpg

There are so many different color combos that would look great with this.  I thought of using different shades of blue or pink.  Or for a more grown up look maybe red, black and gray.  Although I can only do granny square blankets every so often.  I hate all the loose ends and the stitching together.

There are so many different color combos that would look great with this.  I thought of using different shades of blue or pink.  Or for a more grown up look maybe red, black and gray.  Although I can only do granny square blankets every so often.  I hate all the loose ends and the stitching together.

You could always use the join as you go on each row--then there wouldn't be as many little squares to join--only rows.

Great idea.  I've seen patterns where to connect the squares as you go, but I never tried it.  I probably should.  It would save tons of time.  I also saw a comment the other day about 'carrying over the loose thread from the previous row so you don't have to tuck in later'.  Not sure how this works but I'd love to try it.  Also would save tons of time.

Archived